Inside diameter of Toilet flange too big!

Users who are viewing this thread

bogeeb

Reaction score
I could use some expert advice on this problem. I went to my daughters to replace a wax ring that may have been leaking sewer gas. When I pulled the toilet off I immediately noticed the opening was much larger than what I have seen before. I measured the opening to be 5 inches and the wax ring almost falls into the hole. Like I said I have put in a few toilets in my time but never encountered this problem. It is in a 60 + year old home in Baltimore. I installed a new wax ring but I don't think it will do much better than the old one as is sits down into the pipe opening and may not even seal properly though it seemed to squash down. Maybe someone could tell me what I could do to remedy this for the next time I pull the toilet. Is there a plate that would go over this opening to bring the size into line with a standard 4 inch drain? I am open to any ideas at this point. Thanks for any help you can give.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is an offset drain? SOme of those have an extra large opening. A picture would help. You can take a couple of wax rings, cut them to insert a section to make one big enough to go around the rim of the flange. This might work, but a picture would help clarify things for maybe another, better solution.

Gsalet

George the Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.PlumbingPro.com
My guess is that they used a 4 x 4 deep closet flange made for when the pipe is too low below the floor, after the connection is made a filler piece of 4 inch pipe should be leaded into the closet flange to fill the void to the top of the flange. Pictures will save a 1000 words

DocDee

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem with a cast iron flange with 5" ID (construction around 1970).
My solution which worked perfectly was a one-piece neoprene seal from http://saniseal.com/
"The Green Gasket" was purchased from Home Depot for about $11.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks