Kinetico Model softening 50% of time

Users who are viewing this thread

Snifferpro

Reaction score
My model 50 is only softening water 50% of the time.

I completely emptied the salt tank and cleaned it out thoroughly. There was a lot
of salt debris under the plastic shelf that I removed. I then replaced the plastic
table and put just enough salt on top so I could see what happens when the unit
regenerates.

The unit regenerates on it's own about every three days. When regeneration starts,
water is sucked out of the salt tank and then maybe 10 minutes later water is
returned to the tank.

Operation seems normal, but water is only soft when the Remote tank is in service.
I verified this with Hach Test strips and when the Main is in service, no soft water.
When the Remote is in service I get soft water.

Can the 2 tanks be swapped so that the Main becomes the remote and the Remote becomes
the main. This should prove whether or not the resin in the Main tank is bad.
Am I correct in this assumption.

I have been tracking the tank in service for over a month and results are very
consistent. Remote in service - soft water. Main in service - no soft water?

How easy is it to swap the tanks and does anyone have a diagram on how to do this?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
One can change tank 1 with tank 2, as the remote or 2nd tank adapter unscrew off the tank and the main valve body unscrew from its tank.
But doing so is most likely to continue the same 50% of the time treatment of the water. More likely there is either something wrong with the main valve body in its water flow to tank 1 when it should be treating the water or that the distributor is no longer in the valve body within the tank.
I know that in the Fleck 9000 or 9100 this would either be the lower piston with its seals and spacers going bad in keeping the water flow the way it should be or that the distributor tube out of place.. but the Kinetico is a bit different with its plates and the parts within the plates.

Snifferpro

Reaction score
Switching tanks would verify that the resin is good inboth tanks and that the main valve
body is bad.

Anybody know what the main valve body should cost?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would do that , in verifying that both media beds are good or for some reason on has gone bad and the other is still good.
The price is set by the Kenitico dealers, there are some rebuilt bodies from time to time on that sell and buy site .... starts with an E...
Right now there is a Kenitico 50 in Oregon,, number for it .. 110686494210..

Rjh2o

Reaction score
You have a bad quad valve in level 2 causing it not to switch tanks during regeneration. This level will need to be rebuilt by Kinetico.
RJ

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a bad quad valve in level 2 causing it not to switch tanks during regeneration. This level will need to be rebuilt by Kinetico.
RJ
The OP stated that he gets soft water from one tank then hard water from the other. How can you say it is not switching tanks?

Rjh2o

Reaction score
Right you are! Never the less, when the tanks switch if the quads do not seal properly, for that particular tank, the unit will not regenerate properly and hard water occurs.
RJ

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Right you are! Never the less, when the tanks switch if the quads do not seal properly, for that particular tank, the unit will not regenerate properly and hard water occurs.
RJ

I have seen when one of the check balls is out of place the unit unit will draw brine for 1 tank but not the other. But, unless you have taken the valve apart, the check balls will stay in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks