(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Adding New Faucets Outside

Default Adding New Faucets Outside

I want to add 2 new faucets outside so I don't have to run hoses all around my house to water my plants.

I have a Brick house with a crawl space, I currently have 2 facets on the North and South side of my house and I want to add one on the East & West sides.

It looks pretty straight forward but I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly. I live in North Carolina by the coast, we get cold weather, not extremely but i want to put a freeze proof faucets.

Do I need to use copper pipes, or can I use PVC? Where exactly do I tie into the existing water supply?

I appreciate any help / instructions. = )

Linda
    Last edited by Terry; 05-15-2011 at 11:33 AM.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

I don't know the plumbing code for your area but in some jurisdictions, PVC is not allowed inside the home. Where you tie in depends on whether or not you have a pressure regulator. People often like to tie in before the regulator to enjoy the higher pressure. Look to see where the existing hose bib is tied in.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

If you have water filters or a softener, you would also need to tie in ahead of their connections. You could use CPVC, PEX, or copper piping in the crawlspace. Where and how the connections are made and piping run will depend entirely on the existing layout.

If you have gardens out away from the house it might also be a good time to look at installing a spigot or two out on the property further away from the house.

No one likes dragging around garden hoses, and much of it is preventable with good planning of spigot locations.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    If you have water filters or a softener, you would also need to tie in ahead of their connections...
    Good point WRT the softener. In my case, I have separate hose bibs for unfiltered and iron filtered water. The unfiltered can produce more GPM but the filters keep my soaker hoses from clogging up with iron and keeps my white siding from being iron stained by sprinklers.

I even put in hot and cold soft water hose bibs for washing cars and dogs.