pump runs with no draw

Users who are viewing this thread

six mile lakes

Reaction score
My pump comes on about 8 -10 times daily,even when there has been no draw on the system for several hours. It usuall gives a fairly loud bang on start up and runs for about 30 seconds. I have turned off the toilets and this does not change the events. I have an Elite 5600SE brine tank and another identical filter tank and reverse osmosis system under the sink. I called tech support for the brine and filter system and they said it was highly unlikely for a flow friom those systems. I have a Challenger 85 gal bladder pressure tank,there are only 2 of us int he house and the system is about 7 years old....Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have turned off the toilets and this does not change the events....

Replace the leaking flapper on your toilet.

Two clues... starts with a bang, and runs for 30 seconds, suggests that the tank is somewhat waterlogged. As for where the loss is that causes the pump to come on, that takes a bit of detective work. You don't say whether it is a jet pump or submersible.

Start with the whole house shutoff. If the pump still comes on, it is probably a leaky checkvalve (sub) or foot valve (jet).

six mile lakes

Reaction score
I am using a submesible pump in a deep well. I have turned off the toilet supply lines with no change

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It is basic math. An 85 gallon tank should produce around 10 gallons of drawdown depending of course on pump pressure switch settings. If your pump produces 10 GPM, it should take a minute to refill and shut off; if you have a 20 GPM pump, 30 seconds.

If you cannot get close to 10 gallons out of the system without the pump starting, you need to determine why, and the likely answer is that there is not enough air in the tank. A pump that starts with a bang is not good. The bang suggests water hammer and shock from water hammer can destroy the bladder.

The bang also suggests there may be a second checkvalve at the tank and if the checkvalve in the pump were to fail, a vacuum can be created in the line. When the pump starts, the column of water hits the checkvalve like a freight train at full speed eventually destroying the valve.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you have an accurate water pressure gauge, spend some time looking at it. If everything is off and the pressure is dropping, you have a leak.

If you turn off the main water shut off (should be downstream of the tank) and the pressure still drops, your leak is between the pump and the house.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Two clues... starts with a bang, and runs for 30 seconds, suggests that the tank is somewhat waterlogged. As for where the loss is that causes the pump to come on, that takes a bit of detective work. You don't say whether it is a jet pump or submersible.

Start with the whole house shutoff. If the pump still comes on, it is probably a leaky checkvalve (sub) or foot valve (jet).

That Too but there is a leak...

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
There isn't enough information to make determination however I am guessing that the pressure tank bladder is out of air and there may be a small leak in the system. I'd drain the pressure down and then check the air pressure in the tank. If there is no air pressure in the tank I'd reset the pressure in the tank first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks