Electric Meter Running fast

Users who are viewing this thread

Shahnaimath

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an electric heater of rating 9.6Kw. Whenever it is switched ON, my electrical meter is running fast and when I switch it OFF the speed of the Electric meter returns back to normal. Y is this so.. Please help... suggest me a procedure to solve this issue by myself... Thanks in advance..
:cool:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an electric heater of rating 9.6Kw. Whenever it is switched ON, my electrical meter is running fast and when I switch it OFF the speed of the Electric meter returns back to normal. Y is this so.. Please help... suggest me a procedure to solve this issue by myself... Thanks in advance..

Welcome to the forum

Your meter is doing what it is supposed to do, everything is normal

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
10 KW is a large electric load. More watts than a central air conditioner in cooling mode, more than a clothes dryer, about the same as a stove with a four burners and the oven running!!! The speed of a meter tells you how fast the $$$$$$$$$ is being sucked out of your wallet!!!!

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Hi all,

So you have a HUGE electric heater and want to know why your meter is doing it's job when it is running??? This is kind of like asking "Why do I get burned when I touch a hot stove?" :p

Seriously, as JW said, this is completely normal.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "procedure" to stop this issue is simple, DON'T turn on the heater. The meter is recording electrical usage and that heater, whatever it is, is using a LOT of it.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That has to be a joke.

The Weather in saudi arabia is around 100 Degrees today.

Why would the heater be on ? I would turn it off, and turn on the air conditioner, And see how fast the meter spins.

Have a great Day.

DonL

Shahnaimath

Reaction score
Well First of us thanks for the replies ppl ova here....

This is not a joke for me..lol.. We had installed the similar Heaters at different locations and didn't have any complaints.

DonL

Reaction score
Maybe that one is wired incorrectly, or could be operating at around 10 KW, about normal.

You can always determine the usage by;

The amount of energy represented by one revolution of the disc is denoted by the symbol Kh which is given in units of watt-hours per revolution. The value 7.2 is commonly seen. Using the value of Kh, one can determine their power consumption at any given time by timing the disc with a stopwatch. If the time in seconds taken by the disc to complete one revolution is t, then the power in watts is P = 3600 * Kh Divided by t in seconds. For example, if Kh = 7.2, as above, and one revolution took place in 14.4 seconds, the power is 1800 watts. This method can be used to determine the power consumption of household devices by switching them on one by one.

Good Luck on your project.

DonL

P.S. That calculation is based on a 60 HZ system, Adjust the formula for your AC operating Frequency.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I am guessing that at 9.6 kw the rotation of the disc might be a bit hard to time.

Be around every 2.5 seconds, per Rev.

I would not want the electric bill, I would use a electric blanket, Or a Fat Girl...

DonL

Shahnaimath

Reaction score
@ DonL

Well Thanks for superb calculation method....Can u please little elaborate on the formula how did u derive that for a 60Hz operating frequency....

If there is incorrect wiring...How to rectify the issue?... Do we need to check the whole wiring in the house or How...? As far when we checked the current drawn by the heating element its normal and the value is as per standards.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nearly 10Kw is a large load! The meter would run much faster when it is on. That's like 100 100W light bulbs all on at the same time. Often, another means of heating is less expensive, but not always. Natural gas or propane or oil in a furnace may be more ecconomical, but maybe not as neat, and then, you'd have to pay for installation and have those as energy options. Not much you can do about it other than tighten the building up to seal leaks, add insulation, and then live with the result.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; 220 Volt two phase.

Actually 220 volt SINGLE phase. Check the amp draw of the heater, the main lines with and without the heater, and then you will know if the wiring is correct or not.

Shahnaimath

Reaction score
@hj

With the heater the amps is per company standard and how do we check amps without heater i.e. load?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you've checked the draw (load) of the heater, and it is within specs, and you said the meter slows way down when it is off...it sounds like it is working exactly like it should. As I said, that's like having nearly 100 100W light bulbs all on at the same time...that's a lot of electricity, and you'll pay for it. Assuming it was on continuously (unlikely, but I suppose possible), that's nearly 10Kw/hr. Where I live, that would cost about $1.65/hour, $39.60/day, or $1188/month.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
In Saudia Arabia, you should use the sun to preheat your water, then a 3 or 4 KW heater element on very rarely should suffice.

Shahnaimath

Reaction score
Maybe that one is wired incorrectly, or could be operating at around 10 KW, about normal.

You can always determine the usage by;

The amount of energy represented by one revolution of the disc is denoted by the symbol Kh which is given in units of watt-hours per revolution. The value 7.2 is commonly seen. Using the value of Kh, one can determine their power consumption at any given time by timing the disc with a stopwatch. If the time in seconds taken by the disc to complete one revolution is t, then the power in watts is P = 3600 * Kh Divided by t in seconds. For example, if Kh = 7.2, as above, and one revolution took place in 14.4 seconds, the power is 1800 watts. This method can be used to determine the power consumption of household devices by switching them on one by one.

Well DonL,

Can u please tell me how to measure Kh i.e. watts hours per revolution, as u have mentioned that it is commonly seen as 7.2. Please help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks