Leaking Drain Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

SAS

Reaction score
I recently flushed my hot water heater and now I have a very slow leak (a few drops per day) from the spigot. Can I just put a cap on it, or do I have to replace the valve?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A cap will likely work, but if it is a cheap plastic valve, probably a good idea to change it. A full-port ball valve will flush better, and should easily last the life of the tank (and probably the next one, too).

SAS

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It's not a plastic valve, but it's not a brass one either. It's a flimsy aluminum valve. I was out last night at Walmart and picked up this metal ball valve intended for a garden hose for $3. So far so good. If it works, at least I won't waste 40 gallons of hot water.

valve.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you turn the supply valve off and don't open any faucets, you can often just unscrew the old valve without losing much water at all. Think finger over the end of a straw. If no air can get in, no water can come out (or at least much unless something's leaking). But, that will work, too.

SAS

Reaction score
Good point. If this doesn't work (although for now it seems OK), I'll try shutting off the supply valve and opening the drain valve. If it doesn't leak much, I could change it without having to drain the tank.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You probably didn't flush the tank as well as you think you did, since a conventional drain valve won't let larger particles through (as you have found out by the leak).

Just bite the bullet and change over to a full-port ball valve like Jim says.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks