Stinky (sewer gas) Kohler only in the summer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve603

Reaction score
I have a triplex, each has Kohler toilet. It was the model that got highest recommendations from Consumer Reports about 10 years ago.

All work fine except the one in the bottom apartment. That one works fine also except only in the summer, when the apartment windows are open, it exudes a sewer gas smell.

It's not a long run to the main stack and everything works fine so I'm assuming that the stack which is vented to atmosphere high on a fairly flat roof is fine.

I've reseated the toilet. I've called in a plumber who said it was the wax seal, and reseated it. But it still does the stinky, always when the windows are open wide.

I'm wondering if it has a pinhole leak someplace and normally the negative pressure in the stack does not cause a positive pressure sewer gas leak. I'm wondering if in the summer when the apartment's windows are open, the open windows create a slight atmospheric "low" within the apartment overcoming the negative stack pressure and introducing vent gas into the apartment.

Has anyone ever heard of such a condition?

I found terrylove.com while looking for a review on an American Standard Cadet 3 and was impressed with the quality of answers, so I thought I'd ask this one. I'm buying a new one for the apartment but I could use the old one in a rural vacation home and wonder if the cause is fixable.

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It only smells in the Summer when the window is open?

I remember going over to a friends home, in the Summer, and it was pretty smelly outside in his yard.
The septic was noticeable.

Are you sure it's a problem with the toilet?
If it was, you would notice it with the window closed I would think.

A top rated Kohler? Really?
But then CR has lot's of top rated models that don't cut it in the real world. Like all we do is flush rubber sponges and baby wipes. Their "Best Buy" Eljer Aqua Saver was a real wonder. It wouldn't flush toilet paper on the first try. It took two flushes. And then after a few years the tank innards were orphaned. They quit making parts for it.
I remember CR liking the old Wellworth that was rated 250 grams on the MaP test.
I liked em too, lot's of business removing them.

One thing you can do with a toilet being reseated, it to take it outside and spray it off with a garden hose, making sure it's clean between the tank and the bowl. I mean, why not, while you have it off.

Steve603

Reaction score
No septic system, city sewer and I've never smelled anything from it.

If I turned the exhaust fan on in the bathroom it would stop the smell in the rest of the apartment.

I did a better job than the local plumber at making absolutely sure the area where the wax sealed was perfectly clean.

And yes, it's only in the summer when the windows are open and there is a breeze outside. It's strange, and strange too that the two other toilets attached to the same stack never have this problem.

It only started when I put that toilet in, the prior one had no problems.

Perhaps it's a metaphysical thing--just a plain 'ol malignant toilet that's darned ticked of of being shi**ed on all the time. Maybe just payback...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks