An overseas challenge: Cement Board on Ceiling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob Dombowsky

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to renovate my apartment in Taiwan. We are on the 10th floor of 10 floors, and the concrete and tiled roof leaks....well the neighbors' leaks and we suffer. Humidity is also very high year round, so there is a lot of condensation.

When we bought the place, we had the contractor put in lowered ceiling that hid the aircon and covered the seriously messed up concrete ceiling.

The standard practice is to use 2 by 2 framing, that lays out a 60 x 90 grid. There are no boards running inside the grid. They then affixed panels of mesh/particle board. Problem is the humidity is usually 80-100% and the condensation built on the ceiling and penetrated the paint and eventually the board. Now, its' deteriorated to the point I can poke a finger through in places, and its so warped, it looks like the Rockies in places.

My plan is to
1) Rip out the paneling, and repair the framework, which hangs 2 feet below the concrete ceiling, as well as add more support to the and run some bracing between on 30cm centers.
2) Glue Styrofoam insulation to the concrete ceiling (we need some insulation from the heat)
3) Next add a vapor barrier to the framework (yes, there is a 2 foot space between vapor barrier and insulation)
4) Then cover it with concrete board because it is more sturdy in the humidity and won't be affected by condensation.

Covered ceilings are very uncommon in Taiwan, as most people are happy with the floor of the apartment above serving as their ceiling ;). As a result, there is not a lot of options for paneling in the shops. Most are Masonite based or particle boards. I did find 1/4 inch drywall, but it will just fall apart within a couple years. Problem is crete board is heavy, and not sure if it is easily taped and painted.

Questions?
1) Its it reasonable to cover 35 square meters of Concrete board?
2) Can it be tapes and painted and look good? Tips?
3) Does it need to be primed?

Any other suggestions on how to manage this project?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks