Odd size steel pipe nipples

Users who are viewing this thread

ej

Reaction score
Hello-

I'm putting in a tub faucet and need a 3 1/4" nipple in order to have <1/8" gap to caulk. Using the standard 3 1/2" that I can get at home depot, I end up with a 3/8 gap which seems a bit much, and 3" is too short.

The Home depot guy said to mate up smalller nipples with a coupling; is that the typical solution for pro's? I'm nervous enough about having two hidden joints in the wall that could leak, much less four. It also seems like it'll also get squirrely trying to get the faucet to end up in the down facing position when they're all tightened up.

How do you folks do it, or am I making too much of this?

thanks-
Ed

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Slip Spout

You are correct in wanting to get a good seal at the spout to wall connection. You could install a piece of copper and use a slip on spout. Or you could get a spout that has it's pipe connection at the nose (outlet) instead of at the wall. I have used the coupling approach.

ej

Reaction score
Thanks, Lonnie. The spout is part of the fixture package, and the wife really likes it, so changing the spout is out.

You mentioned copper which got me thinking.... Can I just make it out of copper and sweat two threaded ends to the correct length of tubing? or do I risk damage when trying to tighten it up? That could make it very easy come to think of it.

-Ed

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1. You can make up a nipple from a piece of copper and two male adapters; it is simewhat fragile. Especially when you need to remove it, the copper might twist.

2. A big plumbing supply house may stock nipples in 1/4" increments; also the supply house or a large contractor probably has a nipple attachment for their threading machine and can make any length.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks