Another Pitless Adapter Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mortal798

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am having well problems. My 1/2 hp 230v pump runs all the time 24/7. It puts out 22psi and 3gpm. The pressure never gets high enough to trip the switch off. I need to pull the pump.

The pitless adapter in my well is one that I can't find any mention of excpt here.

Anybody ever see one of these? How do you get it to let go? I am an Auto Tech Instructor, so I can fix just about anything. I have never had to deal with anyting like this, so any help would be HUGE!

Thanks!

Mortal798

Reaction score
Pitless picture

pitless adapter.jpg

Here is the pic...

Mortal798

Reaction score
I am starting to think that I just need to pry up on the tab near the pin. As you can see from the pic, there is no safety cable attached to the pump. Is that a good sign - like the pump isn't very far down? Or is it a bad sign - like the company that installed it was too cheap to attach a rope to the pump?

Mortal798

Reaction score
Oh, this is a 5" well, the pitless is exactly 4' below grade, and the water is 18' below grade. I have no idea how deep the well is or how deep the pump is set, but I am hoping not too deep...

Mortal798

Reaction score
;)Man, I thought for sure somebody was going to bust out with all of the information by now!;)

Should I just make a hook and go for it?:confused:

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
It has been over 15 years since I removed one of those. I think that the rod has a lot to do with releasing it. Post a picture of the top of your well.

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
Look at the link for the product and it takes you to installation instructions. From what I remember, you need to be very careful when removing it to not lose the oring.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I believe that is one of those kinds of pitless adapters that you need a tool to unhook. I believe you need a rod with washer welded to the bottom. The washer works like turning a screw with a coin. You reach down in that 1" pipe with the rod, stick the washer into a groove, and turn it to the left to loosen the lock. At least that is my best guess.

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
Installation Instructions
  1. 1. Cut and thread 1" pull pipe. (See chart for length). Assemble support bar, pull
    pipe, and pitless body. Be sure that arrow on support bar and discharge hole on pitless body are in line with each other.
  2. Cut a piece of 1/2" pipe 3" longer than pull pipe and flatten one end to fit stainless steel screw or weld on adjustment tool to one end of 1/2" pipe.
  3. Measure distance from bottom of support bar to center of discharge hub, or use assembly as a measuring stick.
  4. Drill hole in casing, the same measured distance as above:
    4" casing - 1-1/4" hole or smaller
    5" casing - 1-1/4" hole or smaller
    6" casing - 1-1/4" hole or smaller
    NOTE: For 2" MCK model - 2" hole or smaller
  5. Notch or mark top of casing directly above discharge hole.
  6. Clamp discharge hub around casing to assure watertight seal around discharge hole.
  7. Attach pump and drop pipe to pitless body, apply Anti-Seize/Gasket Lube to
    O-ring, and lower into casing.
  8. Line up mark on support bar with notch cut in casing.
  9. Turn stainless steel screw clockwise until O-ring seals on inner wall of casing.
  10. Complete installation by installing watertight or ventilated cap on top of well casing depending on state well code.

Mortal798

Reaction score
Thats got to be it! I think thats how this will have to loosen up. I'm glad I didn't just try to pry it out!

Now let me ask this: is this a good sign - as the pump may not be that far down? Or is it still possible that it is over 100' down there? Would any of you hang a pump by that adapter and just leave the pull pipe to hold the weight? There is no safety cable on it...

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Don't take anything for granted- there might be several hundred pounds of pipe filled with water connected to the bottom of that pitless adapter.

Mortal798

Reaction score
Lol! Overrated... really??? Would somebody really risk the pump dropping to the bottom over $13 worth of poly rope?

Just got back from Lowes with my parts to make the tool to unlock the pitless.

Wish me luck, tomorrow could be a long day. I will post pics and updates.

Thanks again for the advice!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
No, people who are serious about safety cable use stainless steel cable.
Rope is never to be trusted after it has spent time inside a well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks