(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Pitless Adapter Question

Thats got to be it! I think thats how this will have to loosen up. I'm glad I didn't just try to pry it out!

Now let me ask this: is this a good sign - as the pump may not be that far down? Or is it still possible that it is over 100' down there? Would any of you hang a pump by that adapter and just leave the pull pipe to hold the weight? There is no safety cable on it...

In the trades WellWaterProducts's Avatar

It could be several hundred feet down. Safety cables and ropes are overrated.
    ----
    Chris Kofer
    h2oguy.com

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Don't take anything for granted- there might be several hundred pounds of pipe filled with water connected to the bottom of that pitless adapter.

Lol! Overrated... really??? Would somebody really risk the pump dropping to the bottom over $13 worth of poly rope?

Just got back from Lowes with my parts to make the tool to unlock the pitless.

Wish me luck, tomorrow could be a long day. I will post pics and updates.

Thanks again for the advice!

No, people who are serious about safety cable use stainless steel cable.
    Rope is never to be trusted after it has spent time inside a well.

Chris Kofer shows the best instructions or go to http://www.merrillmfg.com/product/02...-Kit/parts.htm for the photos and complete parts and information as submitted by previously by Chris Kofer.
    Porky Cutter, MGWC
    (Master Ground Water Consultant)

It's done! I must be really lucky, it was only 65' down the hole. I made a t-handle tool to loosen the screw an it worked on the first try. Pulled out 3 - 20' sections and the pump. Bought new pump from Grainger for $400.

The original installer did not heat shrink the cables to the pump, only electrical tape. The wires were all full of water. I used heat shrink, attached the wires to the pipe (they weren't before), food safe lube on the o-ring, a torque arrestor (which it didn't have before), and now I have water pressure!

I really appreciate all of the help and advice - it really helped me get the job done today. Thank you.Name:  pump_1.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  56.9 KB

One last question: do I need to pour bleach or some other chemical into my well? I keep seeing other posts about pouring something down there, but what's the real answer?

Quote Originally Posted by mortal798 View Post
    One last question: do I need to pour bleach or some other chemical into my well? I keep seeing other posts about pouring something down there, but what's the real answer?
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/de...l_221334_7.pdf

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

look at the stickies at the top of this forum. You need to recirculate the soultion through the well cap.

I have started using 2 hole ABS caps for jet pumps with submersibles so I have a big port for venting and or chlorinating and recirculating.

DIY Junior Member Daniel Earl Keith's Avatar

Better late than never so they say. So for future reference for others inquiring about this adapter...

It's most likely a Weises. Made by Weises Inc. of RisingSun, Ohio. Don't think they are made anymore... and more's the pity because it is a great pitless adapter. The pics below are of my Weises.

There's also a possibility it's a Merrill:

http://www.merrillmfg.com/product/02...t/features.php

The Weises pitless adapter is made of bronze and inside the top is a 3/4" threaded bolt with the top formed into a key (think it's stainless as it's non magnetic) with a slotted end. To turn it, you need to take a black iron or galv. Iron water pipe and pound one end to flatten it enough so it will fit snugly over that key. I forget what I used.. 1/2" pipe most likely but it might have been 3/8. Will check later and edit this. So you slightly flatten one end of an iron pipe, add a t-fitting and two small pipes at the top to make a handle, and insert your new tool thru the tee, into the pipe down to the pitless. Then you unscrew the key. When you do, it lets the tension off the "foot" and the rubber gasket at the front of the pitless comes free and you can then pull everything up.

Once the pitless is loose, pull out your tool and stick a rag or something in the end so if you loosened the key too much, it won't fall out. I neglected to do this once and the key was a royal pain to find again since it's non-metallic and dragging with a magnet was useless. Luckily my GF found it and saved the day : )

Oh... make sure to make a mark on the casing where the tee at the top is set so you can line up the pitless the same way when you reinstall it.

I'd love to have another Wieses pitless, shame they are so rare now, but I might check out the Merrill.

Name:  MVC-538F.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  82.5 KBName:  MVC-537F.JPG
Views: 493
Size:  78.4 KBName:  MVC-540F.JPG
Views: 514
Size:  65.4 KBName:  MVC-539F.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  80.2 KB
    Last edited by Daniel Earl Keith; 11-16-2012 at 08:48 PM.

My guess is that the original installer used this pitless to ensure that only he gets the repeat service work

This post really helped me today, so I thought I would contribute something that may help the next guy pulling out his or her pump. The tool that you need to make takes a little more then smashing a 1/2" pipe. once you bang your 1/2" pipe on concrete you need to grind down the sides of the pipe that flared out from the flatting of the pipe. Mine would not even go into the well pipe to get to the pitless. I ground off both sides of the pipe completely. After doing that I tried to turn the screw in the pitless without any luck. I took my tool and spread open the ends that I smashed together and after the third try my tool worked like a charm. The tool is real easy to make but it does take a little more work then what the previous posts suggested. If this helps just one person then my post was worth the time.

DIY Junior Member Angrybullmoose's Avatar

A HUGE thank you to all involved in this thread. I have to replace my pump during one of the coldest weeks of this winter and I ran into the same adapter. While searching the internet at the start, it all looked pretty straight forward until I found this adapter. I couldn't find any information and almost started trying to dig through three feet of frozen ground thinking the adapter must be bolted to the well housing... then I found this thread. Again, thanks to all of you for your tireless research. I tend to agree with craigpump when he said 'My guess is that the original installer used this pitless to ensure that only he gets the repeat service work'.
    Hopefully I can get some pictures of my experience with this as I start the attack tomorrow and post more helpful tips to this thread.