Simmons Split Well Seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Waynef

Reaction score
I have been having problems with stinking water. I read online that I needed to remove the well cap and pour a bleach solution down the pipe. It appears that I did not have a well cap but a Simmons split well seal. I removed the 4 bolts thinking I was doing the right thing. I can get one side to tighten but the other will not. I suspect that the bottom plate on one side has fallen. Will this harm the well? What should I do?

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It won't harm the well, but if it is a 4" well, the nuts that have fallen in might prevent the pump from being removed when need be.

The bolts on a well seal should only be loosened a little, never removed.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Ballvalve is right the bottom plate is cast iron and threaded. 1/2 of the seal has probably fallen to the top and it's not magnetic. You will probably have trouble ever pulling the pump when required. Let's hope that you don't because it could cost you a new well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Some of those have bolts that stick up from the bottom with nuts on the top. If the bolt didn't fall out the bottom, you may need to pull it up into the bottom half of the seal, to keep it from spinning when you tighten the nut.

Waynef

Reaction score
Thanks, I think one side fell into the well. There is nothing to tighten the one side to. The other is tight. Hope I never have to pull it. But I noticed today that the pump is squealing when it starts then spewing water from the pressure relief valve.

IMAG0018.jpg

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yep, that is the kind of well seal that the bottom can fall in the well if you loosen the bolts too much. Hopefully the half moon piece is just laying on top of your pump and will come out easily. Because you are going to need to pull it. The pump should not be squealing. And the check valve on the pump is probably bad, which causes a water hammer on start up, and makes the pressure relief pop off.

Waynef

Reaction score
Please explain. The wires are not frayed. That is old duct tape stuck to it. The color looks faded from years of sun beating down on it. Well has been in since 99.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bad news is that half of the well seal probably fell down in the well. The good news is that it appears to be hung on steel galvanized pipe, which will allow your wellman to put maximum pull on that pump to get it out.

That wiring, while unsightly, is probably not unsafe. Is that the control box hanging off to the side? Might want to dress that up a little, I can tell you how if you wish and it won't be very hard.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
So you guys think the water leaking out of the relief valve soaking through all the duct tape and over the control box is a good installation?

:eek:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can't tell exactly by looking at your picture but normally there is a place in the well seal to screw in either a 1/2" or 3/4" nipple. First, turn off the power. 2nd, disconnect the C-box (making careful note of which wires go where). Thread the wires coming out of the well through the nipple, and then screw the nipple into the well head. Sometimes it can be difficult to get the nipple started because the well head T doesn't quite clear the hole. I usually insert the nipple before everything is fully seated to get by this problem.

Get two ROMEX® washers (either 1/2 or 3/4) and screw one washer into the nipple, then insert the C-Box ontop of the nipple so that the wires go through the well seal, up through the nipple, and then into the C-Box. Screw the other ROMEX® nut to secure the C-Box to the nipple. Re-Attach all wires.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
TW, I see a lot of control boxes connected to the well seal in that way. I have never done this, because I am affraid of getting moisture in the box. It seems to me that venting through the control box could draw in rain water when under a vaccuum, and blow humid air from the well through the box when the water level in the well is rising. I have tried putting the pressure switch in the well, and found the wires and contacts trun green very quickly. I figured the control box would do the same. Have you ever seen this happen?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
There are threads in the electrical outlet where a watertight fitting should connect watertight flex conduit to the control box, which should be mounted on a structure or stake near the well.

That mess of red wire is a mystery - comes out of the rear of the box?

Doubtful if the valve works anyway. Its a poster child for terrible work. And it should have a 'doghouse' of some sort over it all.

Yes, the more one removes the switches from moisture, the longer the components will last.

Just picture a kid with his new pocket knife playing with the exposed wires.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here on the Tx Gulf Coast the boxes rust from the outside in, not the other way. I think that there is little, if any, exchange of air between the well and the C-Box mounted this way. As you know the Simmons is not an air-tight seal anyways and if air needs to go in it will find a way. I've seen em look really bad from the outside and the inside still look serviceable. It works OK and I see it a lot, probably most are mounted that way in this area.

Did yall get any of this rain today? We got some but not enough.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Hey guys, the red wire is the mounting for the control box. Both ends of the red wire runs through the mounting screw hole in the control box and tied off inside the box. The rest of the red wire is wound around the relief valve. It's not proper mounting but what is is!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks