(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Plumbing reno, is it up to code?

Default Plumbing reno, is it up to code?

Hi All,

I am in the process of submitting our plumbing plans for our permit. I thought I would present the plan here first for thoughts/critiques/ideas.

The house is 51 years old with two existing bathrooms and one additional bathroom. the house is long with a vault in thhe centre hence some vents cannot connect.

The bathroom in the lower left of the drawing has two sinks, toilet,shower and a BT. There is also three large windows and a stone fireplace in the bathroom which caused a lot of issues with running vents.

Name:  plumbing.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  28.8 KB

After a cursory review, the toilet and shower vents CANNOT connect together the way you show them. You would have to check the code which applies to your area, but here, if you have three toilets the connection to the main line for one of them has to be at least 15' from the other two or else you need a 4" sewer to the point where it connects. And somewhere you would need a full sized 4" cleanout on that 4" incoming sewer. You might also have a problem with ANY open flame appliance in the bathroom, since you are not allowed to have a water heater there and a fireplace should be even worse.
    Last edited by hj; 05-08-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And the shower can't be vented by a kitchen sink.
    I plumbing in Washington State, just South of you. If it were here, I would need more venting.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    After a cursory review, the toilet and shower vents CANNOT connect together the way you show them. You would have to check the code which applies to your area, but here, if you have three toilets the connection to the main line for one of them has to be at least 15' from the other two or else you need a 4" sewer to the point where it connects. And somewhere you would need a full sized 4" cleanout on that 4" incoming sewer. You might also have a problem with ANY open flame appliance in the bathroom, since you are not allowed to have a water heater there and a fireplace should be even worse.
    Thankyou for the reply. I am assuming you mean by three toilets connecting to the main line, you mean 15' vertically?

quote; you mean 15' vertically?

It usually means horizontally, since few homes have 15' ceilings.

DIY Junior Member tempritespokane's Avatar

I'm also a WA plumber and would have to agree that if this set up was for Washington it would require more venting to pass.