(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Credit card compromised

Hybrid View

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Default Credit card compromised

A lot of people are surprised when I tell them I don't use my credit card online whatsoever. I think the reason they seem surprised is because I work in Information Technology and as such would embrace the technology rather than fear it.

Anyway... a short while ago I got an automated phone call purported to be from my bank's credit card fraud division but since it was automated, (not a real person) I hung up the phone. One needs to watch out for phone scams too and I'm not about to give out CC info to an automated phone message. A couple of days later, my wife was trying to pay with her card (same account, different card number) and she was denied.

She visits our bank to followup and they say that they suspected that my card was compromised so they disabled both cards. There were two online transactions that went through and an attempt on a $1 transaction that triggered the alert.

I've always been very careful with my card, never ever letting it out of my sight. Back when they used carbon paper, I would ask for it to be handed over to me. I know all about card readers that waiters/waitresses/etc. use to grab CC info. I've heard that burglars now target computers, not for the value of the hardware, but rather for the value of the CC transaction data processed through them.

My new card when it arrives, will have chip and PIN technology. Unfortunately, I think there are still other weak links in the chain.

It's least likely that you'd have your information stolen online and more likely it was done at a cash register...

Quote Originally Posted by dlarrivee View Post
    It's least likely that you'd have your information stolen online and more likely it was done at a cash register...
    Ja, well in my case it is without a doubt since I have never used it online. I'm just curious how it got stolen. Either a computer was stolen, a network was hacked, or it was the telephone transaction with my sat TV provider. I don't usually give out my credit card info over the phone but this was the one and only time I did in over a year. They said the conversation was being recorded for training purposes so it might have been an inside job there. The CC company is probably investigating it.

So you think it was anything BUT someone behind a counter? It is possible that someone you were face-to-face with did this.

It is possible that someone you were face-to-face with did this.
    I don't hand over my card, I swipe it myself. The receipt masks out part of the number and doesn't print the expiry date. For a cashier to steal my CC info, he/she would have to hack the store software or have some sort of hardware in the middle.

OK, one time the client swiper normally used for debit cards wouldn't read my card so the cashier took my card and swiped it with the reader built into the cash register. Still, it's not like she had a portable card reader up her sleeve... my eyes never lost sight of the card, ever.

I know about all the tricks... they will have a portable reader inside their shirt and pretend to be wiping off the mag stripe with their shirt but in reality they are swiping the CC info.
    Last edited by LLigetfa; 05-08-2011 at 12:02 PM.

It doesn't need to be up their shirt...

DIY Junior Member tempritespokane's Avatar

I agree. Your odds of getting your card stolen from a cash register is more likely. Keep in mind that if you use your card at a store its stored in their computers.

Hello All,

I think that the new cards will be compromised more than the old ones.

With the RFID technology built into the new cards that makes it possible for the bad guys to read your card while it is in your wallet or purse.

Using a cell phone to pay for things will be even worse, they can hack your phone and get your card info, Including your PIN number.

It wont be long and the Cash that you carry can be counted as you pass by a person, just waiting to Rob You.

Crooks get the new technology before Law Abiding Citizens do.

Wrap your Money and Credit cards in Aluminum Foil, Then invest in Reynolds Stock...

Have a Great Day.

DonL
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net