Chevron and Texaco Universal Card. A ripoff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Chevron and Texaco Universal Card

I've been using Chevron gas for years for the business. It was nice having to only write one check for gas at the end of the month.
Instead of receiving the bill in the mail, it's now on-line. Only it doesn't say who the bill is from, it says something like "Statement Notification Alert-DO NOT REPLY [eStatementNotify@DocSight.net]

So of course to me, it looked like spam mail and I didn't open it. I guess it was a bill for $388.98
So that was last month.
Guess what my service charge is for this month's billing based on the fact that I was late one month on $388.98?

My fees on this months bill come to $119.93

So I buy $388.98 worth of gas from Chevron, and my banking fees for the privilege of using their credit card comes to $119.93

So I look on the back of the statement they send me.
Late Fee
If the customer does not make full payment of the total balance due by the Due date, then Customer shall pay a late fee (b) 5.75% of the NEW BALANCE.
However is the customer is deemed to be high risk, than it's 8.99% of the NEW BALANCE.

This isn't based on how much is due from the previous billing, this is based on the new billing amount.

So the ding is 8.99 percent on the bill you just received. The bill you aren't even late on. But you were late last month, so this months purchases are going to cost you 8.99% more. That's an annual interest rate of 107.88%
And if you don't buy 1,000 gallons of gas a month, then they can add more fees.
And of course they charge a finance charge on top of that.
So you have:

Report delivery fee. ($10.00 a charge for sending you a bill)
Late Fee (it can be 8.99% of this months "new" billing) 107.88% annual rate
Finance charge (2.27% on last months billing) 25.25% annual rate

Has anyone else just received a Universal Card from Chevron Texaco?
What does your bill look like, and have you read the page with all of the small print?

ChevronUniversalBusinessMC.jpg

an annual interest rate of 107.88%

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't have that card Terry, but, enough has happened to me over the past 6 years, that I feel an obligation to say, "welcome to my world." I feel for you. That, my friend, is always something I wanted, someone, anyone, would feel for me.

Try to right the wrong Terry, and I wish you luck. It is never easy, no matter how big or small the wrong is.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Man that is hard to swallow.

That is why I use a Debit card from a credit Union. Works anywhere, No Charges to use it at all.

Sorry to hear that You got ripped off Terry. Guess we will have to take up a donation for you.

Oil company's are way out of line. Oil prices go down, but Gas prices don't.

DonL

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I'm confused as to why you'd use a credit card to pay for fuel instead of some fleet card program? I avoid Visa and Mastercard and only use them if I have to...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I can look into the Fleet card program.
Chevron used to have a different card before. I've used them for years, but all of this is with the "new" program. I had no idea that any business could charge like that. But then there is a guy in Washington State that is taking peoples homes if they miss one payment. That's right, miss one payment and lose your home. Some of them had over $300,000 in equity.

Okay, I looked at www.fleetcardsusa.com
They are the ones that I'm dealing with. I see my card above on their website.
I will not be using fleetcard usa or chevron.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Oil prices go down, but Gas prices don't.

When oil prices go up, the stations change their prices immediately. When they go down, the pump price is not changed until they get a new delivery of fuel.

Cookie

Reaction score
I can look into the Fleet card program.
Chevron used to have a different card before. I've used them for years, but all of this is with the "new" program. I had no idea that any business could charge like that. But then there is a guy in Washington State that is taking peoples homes if they miss one payment. That's right, miss one payment and lose your home. Some of them had over $300,000 in equity.

Okay, I looked at www.fleetcardsusa.com
They are the ones that I'm dealing with. I see my card above on their website.
I will not be using fleetcard usa or chevron.

What the sam hell was their balance? That sounds like a possible class action suit to me, if you are correct.

When my bank, a leading bank merged with another leading bank, accts were being overdrawn in the process, illegally. I was hit with about 300 total in the process of the merge, when I used my card. I didn't realize what was going on, nothing. Until, they withdrawed the monies. Well, I tried to fight this. I was not overdrawn. Some people got denied for using their debit/check card even thought the money was in it. This also, happened to me at the time, too. I couldn't fight it anymore, I just threw my hands up. Disgusted at my loss. Well, last week, I got paperwork in the mail, whereas, they were taken to court, and I am getting my money back. I don't know who did this suit, but I applaud them.

Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Terry,

I would call them and tell them what happened. If they are interested in keeping you as a customer, they will likely reverse the charges. If they don't do it (and maybe even if they do), close the account and look for something better. There are a lot of options out there and I'm sure you'll find something better.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What the sam hell was their balance? That sounds like a possible class action suit to me, if you are correct.

Emiel Kandi, a lender of last resort for homeowners down on their luck, admitted he charged borrowers as much as he could get away with. He also made it clear that if they missed a payment he'd take their homes, explaining, "I am a wolf."
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014809585_kandi19m.html

Kandi then made it impossible for the borrowers to pay back the loans and he snatched their homes.

For example, Christine Provost, of Lakewood, Pierce County, borrowed $240,000 from Kandi, thinking it was a 14 percent interest loan. But the loan had an undisclosed 90 percent interest rate, with $26,400 in origination fees, and was due, in full, in 60 days. She lost her home within several weeks.

A Puyallup man lost his house, which he owned free and clear, to Kandi after the man couldn't keep up with the monthly payments on a $17,000 loan.

The legislation would ban Kandi and other commercial lenders from using a primary residence as collateral for a loan if they are not licensed mortgage lenders.

Cookie

Reaction score
Hopefully, these people all had lawyers! And sued this man for everything he is worth.

I am still working on suing the bad doctor who took my husband's life by his neglect. I am going for manslaughter. Sometimes, you just got to do what is right, even if you won't win Terry.

I fought this bank whose merge got confusing. You can read about it on this site. www.NationalCityClass.Com but alas, couldn't win. Maybe, I won't even win about my husband, but when their is a wrongdoing, do you walk away and say, well, I won't win, so why try.

Not me. No matter how big or how small it is, you fight. After a year of trying to recoup my monies from the bank, I threw my hands up in disgust, but as you see, if you check the site, someone else didn't.

So far as that horrible little man with the mortages, at least in my state, that is totally, and clearly, illegal. ILLEGAL. Even if the people whose homes was lost, doesn't get a cent back because MAYBE, it is legal in your state, this man will pay the price when he confronts his maker someday. That I do believe.

I say, "welcome to my world" not a slur Terry, but as truth. I have been through stuff like that in the past 6 years it can turn milk sour. My advice, do something about it.

I wish through the years, especially with losing my husband, I had someone, anyone, who would had said, just once, " I feel for you kid."

I struggle every single damn day of my life to stay alive, to stay afloat financially, and to be as happy as possible. Usually, I am. But, as my husband asked me, how ironic, the week he died, when I was diagnosed with that disease again for the 5th time, " don't you feel like the unluckiest person in the world?" It took me no time to answer, " No, I have you, a nice home, good kids, I don't want for anything." Then, a few nights later, when I found him deceased, I looked at him, saying to myself, " Yeah, I guess I am."

Since then, I struggle to keep my home, keep my health, and, keep my sanity. It is my world, the only one I know.

So when someone is unlucky, I say, "welcome to my world." adding, " I feel for you."

Last edited:

PJ Lofland

Reaction score
Chevron and Texaco Universal Card

I've been using Chevron gas for years for the business. It was nice having to only write one check for gas at the end of the month.
Instead of receiving the bill in the mail, it's now on-line. Only it doesn't say who the bill is from, it says something like "Statement Notification Alert-DO NOT REPLY [eStatementNotify@DocSight.net]

So of course to me, it looked like spam mail and I didn't open it. I guess it was a bill for $388.98
So that was last month.
Guess what my service charge is for this month's billing based on the fact that I was late one month on $388.98?

My fees on this months bill come to $119.93

So I buy $388.98 worth of gas from Chevron, and my banking fees for the privilege of using their credit card comes to $119.93

So I look on the back of the statement they send me.
Late Fee
If the customer does not make full payment of the total balance due by the Due date, then Customer shall pay a late fee (b) 5.75% of the NEW BALANCE.
However is the customer is deemed to be high risk, than it's 8.99% of the NEW BALANCE.

This isn't based on how much is due from the previous billing, this is based on the new billing amount.

So the ding is 8.99 percent on the bill you just received. The bill you aren't even late on. But you were late last month, so this months purchases are going to cost you 8.99% more. That's an annual interest rate of 107.88%
And if you don't buy 1,000 gallons of gas a month, then they can add more fees.
And of course they charge a finance charge on top of that.
So you have:

Report delivery fee. ($10.00 a charge for sending you a bill)
Late Fee (it can be 8.99% of this months "new" billing) 107.88% annual rate
Finance charge (2.27% on last months billing) 25.25% annual rate

Has anyone else just received a Universal Card from Chevron Texaco?
What does your bill look like, and have you read the page with all of the small print?

View attachment 12980

an annual interest rate of 107.88%

PJ Lofland

Reaction score
I used to have the old Texaco card..used it for many years with no problem..then Texaco disappeared in my area. they replaced my card with a new Fleet card..and the minimum required in gas purchases was much lessthan what it is now. However...they neglected to send a bill..and when I called them they said I needed to have an online account..well..okay..I signed up..and was never able to use the site..even after I called them to help me with technical support....so I asked them to just send me a paper bill..they did..but by the time I got it..and sent the check..they had charged me a late fee of $75.00 on a $30 some dollar balance...and interest..which was not on that bill..so..I thought we were done..but I received another bill with another $75.00 late fee on the interest...which was around $1.50. I called them and cancelled the card and told them where they could get off. Then..after a long while I get a letter from them wondering why I hadn't used my card....What??? They also sent a new Chevron Texaco Universal MasterCard. I cut it up and trashed it. I wouldn't have one of their cards..period. They took me for $150.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Sounds all too familiar. In my area, they charge a surcharge to use debit now, but you can still use chevron/texaco cards for the same rate. go figure.....

I opted out from that card. not going to renew them.

TeXan

Reaction score
If you have a local Wal*Mart they have the best prices. (In our area diesel is up to 30 cents cheaper than the truck stop.. I have a walmart gift card that i recharge regularly and it gets me 3 cent off each gallon also. You can recharge the gift card using a regular credit card at self check out.

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
Our costco just got Diesel, so that is a good option. Chevron down here in California, charges the cash price for cash and a chevron card. Other cards get charged at a higher price. Seems illegal to me, but I cut my gas cards up along time ago like many others have done. buyer beware!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks