Moen single handle tub/shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

marichpt

Reaction score
The single handle faucet does not have a push/pull feature (Chateau Posi-Temp, I think). There is no cold water coming from the tub or the shower although the sink does have cold water. After reading the Moen info sheets online, I suspect it is the balance spool at the back of the cartridge which has become stuck or blocked. I was able to remove everything per the disassembly instructions until the last instruction which said, "rotate cartridge shell between the eleven and one o'clock position, grast the cartridge stem with pliers and pull out cartridge." Question #1, Where is the cartridge "shell"? The exploded picture does not reference a "shell" and #2 how hard does one need to pull? I tugged pretty good but did not want to do damage. #3 What are the chances of cleaning and replacing rather than putting in a new cartridge? The system is less than 5 years old.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The shell is the plastic body of the cartridge. The stem is the chrome plated piece in the middle, the piece the handle screw goes into.

If you can get it out, there is a rebuild kit.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

I have had more success just tapping the cartridge on the floor a couple of times to get the spool loosened up. You will hear, or feel, it moving when you shake it if it comes loose.

moen_posi-temp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks