(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Moen single handle tub/shower valve

Question Moen single handle tub/shower valve

The single handle faucet does not have a push/pull feature (Chateau Posi-Temp, I think). There is no cold water coming from the tub or the shower although the sink does have cold water. After reading the Moen info sheets online, I suspect it is the balance spool at the back of the cartridge which has become stuck or blocked. I was able to remove everything per the disassembly instructions until the last instruction which said, "rotate cartridge shell between the eleven and one o'clock position, grast the cartridge stem with pliers and pull out cartridge." Question #1, Where is the cartridge "shell"? The exploded picture does not reference a "shell" and #2 how hard does one need to pull? I tugged pretty good but did not want to do damage. #3 What are the chances of cleaning and replacing rather than putting in a new cartridge? The system is less than 5 years old.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking moen products

sometimes you really got to tug on those moen parts

I have changed themout before risking pullling the damn thing

right out of the tile wall....

they make a puller too

The shell is the plastic body of the cartridge. The stem is the chrome plated piece in the middle, the piece the handle screw goes into.

If you can get it out, there is a rebuild kit.

Default Moen

I have had more success just tapping the cartridge on the floor a couple of times to get the spool loosened up. You will hear, or feel, it moving when you shake it if it comes loose.

Last edited by Terry; 05-20-2009 at 12:41 PM.