No cold water in single valve shower!

Users who are viewing this thread

DrNic

Reaction score
We just purchased a house and in checking the shower in my son's bath we found that there is no cold water coming out of the faucet or the shower head. You turn the handle to the left and the hot water comes on, keep turning and suddenly the water quits, then turn a little further and the hot water is back.

I don't know the manufacturer of the valve (see attached photo) but the chrome trim plate says "Western Pride UPC"

Any suggestions, Thank you!file:

IMG-20110506-00006.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
See those screw heads on the inlet pipes on the side? Those are in-line shutoff valves. Some are 1/4-turn, some are multi-turn. Make sure they are fully opened (some, especially the 1/4-turn ones don't have stops, so it goes from full on to full off in a 1/4-turn - on is with the slot parallel to the pipe).

DrNic

Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you, I will give it a try tomorrow.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If that isn't the cause on the right side between the cold shut off and the main valve body is a nut on the front with a cylinder behind it. This would be the pressure balancing spool which is a valve that constantly adjusts itself to keep the pressure relationship constant on the hot and cold lines to the valve thus keeping the temperature consistant preventing scalding when water is used elsewhere in the home. This spool is stuck!

Your faucet is a Delta Knock Off but there is no guarantee that Delta parts will work in it.

Good luck with your E-B-a-y valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might try whacking it with a rubber mallet. If the spool valve is stuck, you may need to replace or you might try to clean it. If you can get it out, it should be able to move (and you could hear it if you moved it around). Normally, it is moved by the variances in water pressure.

DrNic

Reaction score
Plumber installed

If that isn't the cause on the right side between the cold shut off and the main valve body is a nut on the front with a cylinder behind it. This would be the pressure balancing spool which is a valve that constantly adjusts itself to keep the pressure relationship constant on the hot and cold lines to the valve thus keeping the temperature consistant preventing scalding when water is used elsewhere in the home. This spool is stuck!

Your faucet is a Delta Knock Off but there is no guarantee that Delta parts will work in it.

Good luck with your E-B-a-y valve.

:( It was not purchased by me but was installed by a plumber when a previous owner had the home.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Although we usually try to help people fix things, because changing shower valves is a big project....someone did you a great disservice putting that valve in your house.. WESTERN PRIDE is a no name faucet company. They are sold at Home Depot on a PALLET in the middle of the aisle labeled " Assorted Faucets $14.95". You get to choose a lav, kitchen, shower, etc. All same price. The manufacturer is:

Good luck ever finding parts. You could take it in to HD and see if they will honor any kind of warranty.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
:( It was not purchased by me but was installed by a plumber when a previous owner had the home.

Yes, I realize that, many flippers use appearance over quality when they are getting a home ready for sale.
The new owner gets stuck with the non-repairable junk installed...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Many companies use a "standard" brand's body, or copy it so they can use the same parts, so you would have to remove the balancing spool, AFTER turning off the water, and compare it to available parts to see if it is the same.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks