How to attach to this clay pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Had a clay elbow break just as the stack was entering the floor.

I sawed up my floor, took elbow out. Went to use a rubber donut and 3" pvc - damn hub broke on next piece.

Got out hammer, grinder, etc, had to cut back another 15".

This is now what it looks like:

pghsebring.jpg

How do i attach to this? OD is 5", ID is 3.75". I don't care if i use 3" or 4" pvc from this point on. I'm not trying to hammer another donut in and break it again. Do i have to use a shielded fernco, or can i use an unshielded one? What part number, if you know off the top of your head? Or something else altogether?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
I found one of those at the local store - 4" pvc to 4" clay. Here's my question - the ID of the new PVC is 4". The ID of the old clay pipe is 3.75" or so. That means there's going to be a lip from the new to the old of about 1/8".

Do i still use the 4" pvc and shielded coupling, or do i go with an unshielded coupling and use 3" pvc, and slide it in the old pipe a couple feet too?

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Od of clay pipe is 5". Id of shielded fernco is 5 3/8". Id of unshielded fernco is 5 1/8". Which do I get?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks