If you don't need a permit, do you need a license?

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but I'm looking into having a roof redone, new felt and shingles. The city says I don't need a permit for that, if I don't need a permit for it, do the people that do the work still need to be licensed?

Again probably a dumb question. I know if you need a permit you need a license because the permit applications have spaces for the contractor's name and license number, but if you don't need a permit, do you still need a license?

TIA

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello Briandl,

I would go with some one that has a licenses, and insurance. And not the cheapest contractor that you can get.

In Texas a permit should not be required for replacing a roof. It is not a addition. At least where I live.

I had a Jack Leg guy do my roof and he gave me a great price.
One of his guys fell threw my sheet rock and came out all bloody.
Come to find out he did not have insurance.

I am now in need of work on the house because he did not put flashing where I had gutters,
even when it was needed. By the time I found out it was to late to do anything.

Sears put a roof on a house down the road in 1 day, but charge twice as much.
Now i wish I would have used them. My roof took 1 week to do, with the cheap contractor.
They Cut my alarm system wire and never said a word. I made them pull up the Plywood so I could
reconnect my alarm system wire. It was a nightmare.

Cheaper is not always better.

I know that you did not ask for all this info, but I hope your project is done better than mine was.

Good Luck on your project.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

PM5K

Reaction score
It's not so much about that as it is the fact that the location I need the work done in is a very small place, and the people from nearby larger cities don't always have licenses for that specific city, rather from the larger cities they come from. For whatever reason this city does not accept licenses from within the state of Texas.

So what I'm saying is that I can get people that are licensed, insured, etc but they may not have a license specifically for this city. In that instance since a permit is not required, would a license be?

DonL

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying.

All the License that I have had were Texas State, Or what ever State that I wanted to work in, or Federal.

I would think that a City Licenses would not be needed, You can put a roof on yourself without a license.

Maybe a expert will answer your question, or the city that you live in could give you the correct answer.

That seems weird that they do not recognize a Texas State License. I had never heard of that.

I did not mean to Boo Boo Your Thread, I am sorry...

Have a great day.

DonL.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you let an UNLICENSED contractor on your roof, you are in for it. The workers bill when jose falls off the roof comes to YOU

DonL

Reaction score
Hello All,

Briandl,

Although a licenses to do roofing is not required for Texas, It would be best to get a contractor that has insurance.

Here is a site on licensing rules, for different states.

http://www.roofhelp.com/state_licensing_requirements.htm

If it is a insurance claim, then your insurance company may have to approve the contractor doing the work.

Good Luck on your project.

Have a Great day.

DonL

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You'd best heed Jimbo's advice/warning. If you hire someone to work for you, you are the employer and will be legally responsible for damages caused by or to this worker(s). It's not the permit that is relevant. You make sure the person you are hiring is bonded and insured (same thing?) And, have a written contract specifying what is to be done, what it is to cost, and how long it will take. Actually, if you hire a neighbor boy to mow your lawn and he is injured while working for you, you are responsible. Hell of a note, but that's the was it is.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There are no license requirements here for roofers, but one must make sure anyone they hire for anything is properly insured.
Here, adding another layer to an existing roof does not require a permit, but a complete tear off and re-roof does.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks