Best way to clean out grease?

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
First of all I didn't pour grease directly down the drain, I assume over time cleaning plates that had small amounts of grease on them built up over time.

I wouldn't say the drain was clogged, rather I think the p-trap wasn't tight enough and it came off, causing water to come out. While I was checking it out I noticed all of the grease and did what I could to clean it out of the p-trap and the other accessible pipe.

What's the best way to clean out any grease I assume is further down the pipe that I can't easily access? The sink still drains perfectly fine so I doubt it's much, it probably mostly got caught in the p-trap.

TIA

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the inside surface of the pipe has a coating of grease in the pipe and the water is still flowing, I wouldn’t worry about it.........If you are determined to get it out you can try sodium hydroxide in some form. There are many drain cleaning products available. Grease and soap are similar except soap is soluble in water. Soap is made from mixing grease and sodium hydroxide also known as lye or caustic soda. There is a product called Red Devil Lye. It is mixed with water and if heated is very effective. I have used it to clean floors, remove paint and to clean drains. It will eat aluminum and produce hydrogen which can be explosive. Sodium Hydroxide can be a dangerous chemical and can cause burns to your skin and if it gets in your eyes it can cause blindness, so you need proper safety equipment. Most degreasers contain sodium hydroxide as their main ingredient.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Don't use Draino, unless you want to shorten the life of your pipes.

It's better to go with something that eats the grease.
I like Bio-Clean for that.

I even sprinkle a little in the litter box to get rid of smell.
Some cities require restaurants to use something like Bio-Clean

grease-in-pipe-blue.jpg

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
One of the neat things about biologic agents like Bio Clean is that it contains bacteria that get into the pipes, and like to eat things like grease, so they multiply and sort of climb up the sides of the pipe and eventually clear away most if not all of those deposits.

A pure chemical (i.e. nonliving) drain cleaner like lye (Draino and others) will just sort of cut a channel in the greasy deposit in the lowest part of the pipe, but leave the rest of the deposit alone.

Definitely would recommend getting Bio Clean. Terry sells it here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks