Using Dish Soap for Bugs

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Regarding sodium in softened water - the whole idea of sodium causing high blood pressure is still controversial. There was a new study just last week that basically said that for most people, salt intake is just not an issue. There are a very small number of people who do need to be careful, but much fewer than we used to think.

I too wonder if soap might be good to get those fire ants to move on down the block. Jerry Baker used to talk about soap making his lawn unpalatable to grubs and other critters. Doesn't necessarily kill 'em, but makes 'em head for a tastier patch of turf.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well your belief is not all that unusual. I know my grandfather believed in pretty much what you do. I still remember sitting with him when he told me the old stories. We would sit up high, and he would point out the birds, the clouds; and, he would show me how to know when it was going to rain by watching them, the birds. Salt by the way, will probably harm your plants. Even a small amount is too much for them, they are so delicate. Salt is very harsh. It is ashame you are low in rainfall. Cayenne will kill ants, as well as table salt. You got to wet it first both of them.

When I lived in the south and had fire ants, we would also fill the hills with grits and believe this or not, it worked. Fill the holes and cover them up after, you put the grits in. It does work.

I make a paste of borax and some red pepper or chili powder, this also, works.

So, far, it is not effective against unwanted rellies, :)

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That is good to know about the fire ant natural cures. will have to try some.

Have you used Epsom salt for your garden ? I think it is for nitrogen.

I am not sure if I should fertilize or not. I normally just add new dirt, when I plant.

I think I may just use the hard water, because I no sodium is not good for the plants.
I was using it to kill trees and it works. There is nothing growing around my water softener drain.

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
Nope, never used it. My neighbor, Meatball Mike trucks in some smelly stuff. I got to admit, his garden is pretty good. But, when I grow my basil is surpasses his anyday of the week. And, I don't gag the neighbors.

I heard walking about the lawn is good wearing golf or football shoes.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Hello all,

Cookie I used to grow using Chicken Poo and Cow poo, when I lived on a farm in Indiana, and it worked good.

Some country's grow their stuff in Human waste. I do not think I will try that one... Talk About Recycling, lol.

Have a great day.

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
We used to have chickens, but, I think what he uses is horse manure. Boy, o boy does that smell. Worse than any socks. lol. Yes, some countries use human waste to fertilize banana trees, so, food for thought here, it is a good idea to wash your bunch of bananas before use. I do.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
*do you got stink bugs? If you look at them closely, under a magnifying glass, their backs plus, stomachs are like a beautiful Asian rug. If I had one stronger, it would probably have some color. Really nice markings.

I was told, if you want to get rid of them to put out a dish of water& dishsoap. When they first appeared I was trying to get rid of them by any means, now, I kind of gotten to like them. I still put them outside, but, I try not to kill them. They are pretty unique looking, alittle bit prehistoric like a dino. Check one out. I have a picture, not a good one, I will post. You can vaguely see his markings. Not anything like if you look directly at him by the aid of a scope.

This was taken with a cell phone. my brother & I was playing with them.

Now check out his shape, rather unique don't you think? He was VERY cooperative.
Attached Images
That looks to me like a 'asassin bug' or kissing bug, which is the height of evil in california, you can watch them stalk a sleeping person for a drink of blood. 3 or 4% of people have near death reactions to their bite.

I would play with them with a hammer or diesel fuel.

they also carry chagas disease

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triatominae

FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth is the best in the garden. Put it a jar with holes punched in the lid and sprinkle it around small plants until they get started

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
That's nice, lol. BUT, that is not the same bug! :)
Funny, but I have 2 pitbulls and they both love them. They eat them.
Both are very well, very big & heavy and been eating them since they appeared here over 2 years, ago.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
LOL,

If You hit them with a hammer they have a strange Mint smell.

Not sure what they taste like.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Kissing bugs look very similiar, but are truly evil, and smell even worse when smashed. I would much rather have wasp nests in the house [and do] then one kissing bug.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks