How can I cut tile/cement board floor already installed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sproksch

Reaction score
Hello,

I apologize if this has been covered - I did some searches and haven't found much.

I'm remodeling my shower. I removed the old shower tray, which rested on the subfloor. The rest of the bathroom has 1 inch thick cement board with tile atop. I need to cut this back about 1 inch so I can accommodate the new shower tray. Eventually, the whole floor will be covered with new vinyl, so I'm not worried about damaging the rest of the tile in the process - just need the extra inch. What's the easiest way to cut this back? It was thinking of chiseling it away, but that would take a while, and not leave a very clean edge. But I suppose I can fill that in after the new tray is in.

I appreciate any advice!

thanks,
Steve

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Get a 7" diamond blade and put it in your circular saw. Set the depth 1/8 less than you need it to be and make your cut.

It will make an EXTREME amount of dust, and it would be helpful to have someone right there holding a vaccuum cleaner hose to try to suck up the dust coming off the blade while you cut. Ventilation, safety glasses, and a dust respirator are highly recommended.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use an angle grinder with a tile blade for this type of project. As stated above it will make a lot of dust. Some times I cover my work area with clear plastic and wear a mask to keep the dust out of the rest of the house. You could open the window and put a fan in the window blowing out and most of the dust will go out the window. Good luck

Sproksch

Reaction score
Awesome - thanks for those suggestions; just what I was looking for!

thanks!
Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks