New Shower - Leaking Drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

A

allison_king

Hello. I am building a shower on the second floor of my home and have gotten as far as pouring the primary mortar bed and installing the waterproof liner. I'm using a Sioux Chief 821 series 3 piece drain (shown here:http://www.siouxchief.com/Drainage/...owerDrain/Solvent-Weld-Shower-Pan-Drain.R3BWQ). As far as I can tell, everything has been installed exactly as per the directions. I tested it the other day and water begin pooling under the studs that form the shower framing. The only possible problem that I have been able to identify is that the clamping collar has grooves in it (it's designed that way) that seem to prevent it from sealing completely into the flange groove. I am not sure why the grooves are there on the bottom side. If anyone could help me figure out what's going on, I'd be very grateful. Oh, and it doesn't seem to leak as long as the drain isn't blocked (as you do when you test it). I'm worried about installing something that I know will leak if they drain gets clogged. Thanks!

A

allison_king

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I see the weep holes on the top (circular). Are you saying that the gaps on the under side of the clamping collar are weep holes as well? They seem to
prevent the seal from completing. I took the clamping collar off to look at where the liner is compressed into the flange groove and I can see where those grooves on the underside of the clamping collar have caused the liner not to compress into the groove.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
There is another way to use your drain and use a premium waterproofing product from Nobel Company.

The product I use these days here in Vancouver is a Nobel Flex Flashing (with the flashing tool) where we set this down onto the base drain with a little Nobelsealant 150 and then the collar. Then we do our mortar bed with the preslope to the height of the Nobel Flex Flashing and grade out and up from there. I like to use Mapei's Mapecem Premix (Fast Set) for this stage and in 18 hours you can set the Nobel TS and have a premium shower - waterproofed with the best Membrane on the market.

Nobel ships direct to your home. Daltil selss their version and it's called DalSeal.

Look into your options. A compression drain with a PVC liner and old-school mud job is in my opinion the worst way to construct a shower pan - it is however the most cost effective way if money is tight...

Good Luck.

John Whipple
By Any Design Ltd.
North Vancouver

Last edited by a moderator:
A

allison_king

John,

Thank you for this post. I will look into this product. It's just frustrating me not to understand what is going wrong.
Thanks again,
Allison

A

allison_king

nevermind

Ok..I'm an idiot. Upon further testing, I realized that I folded the back two corners so that there was an open seam at the bottom. Problem solved! Thanks for the help...I'm sure I'll be back with more questions ...hopefully not leaks!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
It is always "Bitter Sweet" to find out the cause of your problems and to find that they point right at you.

You Allison have just completed one class in the "School of Hard Knocks".... Well done.

Protect that liner from harm.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks