Pump type?

Users who are viewing this thread

enfield

Reaction score
I have just got a plumber to install a solid fuel heating system and it is working fine. I suggested he should be able to use the hot water it creates as a separate shower. He danced around the idea and said that I would need a particular type of pump to pump the water from the hot water tank to the shower. What is the name of this type of pump and what should I look for on ****? He said that this pump costs $400 but would not tell me the type or the name of it..
What would I be looking for? If I can save a few bob on **** then thats where I will look. I live in Ireland and the net seems to be the cheapest way forward.
All advice very welcome.
Regards.
Tom Burnell in Tipperary

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
he is probably talking about a Bronze circulator. Most circulator manufacturers make one or two models. They cost alot more money than the normal iron circulators. Taco, Bell and Gossett, Grunfos are some examples.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pump

Getting you a good answer really depends on knowing a bit more about the system.

The pump requirement depends on whether the "boiler" is a pressurized boiler or an atmospheric pressure boiler. Is the boiler producing water to circulate heat through the house? Or is it producing water for other purposes? And how is it supplied with makeup water? If it is a house heating boiler, then you probably need a heat exchanger of some kind because you don't want to use the circulating water in the shower.

When I was young 60 years ago we had a "solid fuel" kitchen range that burned wood or coal and it had a copper tank at the side to heat water. But you had to fill it with a bucket and dip the hot water out on Saturday night to heat the bath water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks