adding carbon to resin tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

biggun

Reaction score
I just talked with someone who recommended adding 2 inches of granular activated carbon to the resin tank of a water softener to remove the chlorine from the water during the softening process (I am on well water but he still recommended adding it). This would remove the need for a whole house inline water filter. The activated carbon would be backwashed at the same time as the resin and he said that the carbon and the resin would need to be replaced every 10 years.

I have never heard this recommendation before, nor have I found any info on on the Internet. Any opinions on this?

Thanks in advance

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is the rest of your water like?
Why do you need the carbon?
While I might understand it for city water with the chlorine, well water either has iron or smell... and both of those shorten the life of carbon faster than chlorine does..

Oh and forgot to add,,,
Flow rates of the two are different.
Resin has say a flow rate of 6gpm per cubic foot and a back wash rate of 3gpm while carbon has 3gpm for iron and h2s and 6gpm for chlorine per cubic foot and back wash of 4gpm.

If you are adding a few inches I my self do not think that it is going to do much in the way of removing any thing from the water or at least any thing that it should be removing.

In line house filters are more for sand and the like, not carbon.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Somehow i can't see carbon lasting 10 years. Also I suspect the density of carbon and beads are different so I'm pretty sure the carbon won't stay on top when the bed is shaken up.

biggun

Reaction score
The guy wants 600 bucks for a used clack ws1 1.5 cu ft 64,000 from a model home he said maybe regenned once with 300 extra for installation. Should I be concerned. IS THIS A GOOD PRICE?

I have H2S2, 10 OR 11 HARDNESS, Iron and or iron bacteria. I was looking at installing the inline erosion chlorine pellet later but I was looking for an alternative to the expensive mixing tank. Can I just use like a pressure tank my well uses for a retention tank or even a heavy duty plastic barrel? Also what happens if i dont use a carbon filter to remove the chlorine i added? I have an ro???

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
For starts, the Clack valve is a good one, but 64 with 1.5 cubic? what kind of drugs are they on? Best that I push a 1.5 is 48k....

Does the water come out clear with no color and after hours it is orange and stuff at the bottom of a jar?

600 is not really a bad price for the system,, but 300 for the install? what are they getting an hour and are parts to put it in that pricy?

biggun

Reaction score
Well here is the price I got for a new ws-1. The same setup as above but 48k. Maybe I was wrong above he said something about 48-64 depending on size of tank or something. Anyway The cost I was quoted would be $950.00 ifI install it. $1500.00 if they install it. I think people in houston just pay and get whatever. My neighbor spent 3500 on their kinetico. I just want to make sure I am getting a good quality product and doing it right.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hear getting your moneys worth....... Now if you where up around the Dallas area there is a friend that has just hard water and nothing else in the water.... but you are not and I am in Alaska and know little about your water..
Dealers of the brands have the retail price set by head office most of the time... maybe some room but mostly set by corp...
Then there are the cheap ones at the box stores.... replace every so many years...
550 to install just sounds high....... but as I said,,, I don't know what your market will bear in the way of price... nor do I know the hourly rates there.

I like doing things one step at a time.. the iron and hardness might ,,, might be remove just with the softener... cold water here in Alaska where I am lets that happen 95% of the time..
And there are a few softeners that take out the egg smell.......... they should not, but yet they do.

biggun

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. So if I have iron bacteria you think the water softener will help reduce it making eveything orange? toilet bathtub etc. I have a dishwasher and new fridge I am waiting to hookup. Do u think ultmitely i need the chlorinator and storage tank?

ANy advice appreciated thanks for all your feedback.

Daniel

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may not have the iron bacteria, iron in the water when exposed to air will drop out of the water and to the bottom of what ever the water is in.

Is the back of the toilet tank slimy?

biggun

Reaction score
Well no but we have a toilet we do not use often that will get the slime. Seems to usually grow in the bowl though not necessarily the tank.

D

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Going on what you have been saying,,,, I kinda wounder about the iron bacteria... remember that at any given time that there are any number of items in the air that is with in the house that might get some thing started in standing water..
If you use some thing like iron out or a resin cleaner every few months that most likely will keep the resin bed clean.

Remember I am kinda fishing here,,, I am in Alaska and do not have a full understanding of your water... here I do.. but your water temp and chem is likely a bit different than here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks