(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing Oil in your automobile.

Quote Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
    May be you've heard stories like this...but its not a fact.
    Actually there are quite a few ranging from at best older ECM's that had a low amount of Keep Alive Memory and no lithium battery back up where you would have to drive the car through a learning cycle before full drivability was restored to some models that dumped and required reflashing of the memory...

A good mechanic will use a 9-volt battery connected to a cigarette lighter plug to hold the ECU memory and Radio Presets when the disconnect the battery.

Redwood,
    Yes, that's pretty well known, that some cars need to "relearn" how to idle and how to shift after a battery disconnect - but I still am having trouble that a manufacturer would actually design a car which would absolutely NOT START after disconnecting the battery. If they did this, that would be engineering malpractice, if there is such a thing.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

When I work on my car I do everything the manufacturer's workshop manual tells me to do (you can buy them).

Just like when I remodel my house I do what the code tells me to do.

It's not rocket science.

Yet you need a permit and inspection to work on your house but not on your car.

That's just dumb, because a badly repaired car is no less dangerous than a poorly installed gas water heater.

It must be because of unions.

Or it's because of taxes.

But one thing is for sure. Where's the freedom?
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 04-30-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Hello All,

Well You do have to get your car inspected, Once a year, Here in Texas.
    But not after every repair.

Not many people do work on their own automobiles anymore.

With all the homeowner associations around here, You are not even allowed to lift your hood, If it is not in your Garage with the door closed.

There is no freedom anymore...

Have a Great Day.

DonL
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Disconnect the battery.... sure, when you change the battery.

Save the drain oil, because the day is very soon coming when YOU will be paid for this precious resource. Absolutely absurd to pay to dispose of oil - would you pay to return your water bottles?

Most oil gets changed far prematurely. How do I know? I own some very large equipment and I pay 12 bucks to a lab to scan the oil for a complete contaminant anaylsis.

When the book says change the 15 gallons of engine oil every 150 hours, a oil scan can easily extend that to 500 hours - and the MFG. agrees with it, if you use his lab.

Its the same as a blood test, but much cheaper. Would you treat yourself for high cholesterol without a blood test?

Finally, buy your oil in 55 gallon drums, generic DELO is what I use in EVERYTHING with tires and tracks, even in the hydraulic system.

If I drain the hydraulics on three machines, I get about 120 gallons of still fresh oil [not contaminated by combustion products] which gets used as chain saw oil, and lubricating oil [ put it in a gallon hand sprayer and save on WD-40 big time] or use it as fuel.

And do not forget MAGNETS. A guy with a pacemaker would likely die getting too close to my excavator. I attribute my clean oil scans to magnets on the oil pan, oil filters,fuel filters, hydraulic resevoir and hydraulic filters.

Just opened up a tranny pan, and the magnet looked like a porcupine. Filters do not take care of the sub micron metal- only magnets can.

Hello All,

Yes I agree that people waste far to much motor oil. I get 10,000 from mine.
    With the cleaner burning fuels and fuel injection systems the oil does not get contaminated as quickly.

The magnets sure do make a difference also.

I remember the days when people were putting magnets on the carburetor of a normally aspirated system
    and claimed better gas mileage. I never did understand how that would help. Given the floats were made of brass
    and not subject to the same magnetic proprieties as other metals. Did it really work ? I never did try it.

Save when You can, Recycling your own oil, sounds good to me. Makes to much sense, That is why most people don't do it.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    It IS a fact- VW and Audi specifically.
    Our family has a VW and our company has nothing but Audi's for business. While I dont drive the companys Audi's I know who does and they take them to whatever lube joint is close to home. And I have personally changed the oil on the VW, no glitches.

So I'm calling BS until said statement is posted from an owners manual.
    Last edited by RinconVTR; 05-04-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typos

Hello all,

I do not doubt that an auto could loose vital computer information, Maybe if its CMOS battery failed and the battery was disconnected.

Most newer memory chips do not need power to hold memory.

I try to buy U.S.A made automobiles, when I can.

Not sure if any are made here anymore.

Auto Electronics made in America went away when GM's Delco Electronics, Shut down.
    Delco even made electronics for Ford and other Manufactures.

Save Gas, Ride a bike...

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Yes its a good idea to disconnect your car battery. Also throw the breaker on the garage for good measure. Might as well shut the power off to the house too. Dont forget your safety glasses, steel toes shoes, chemical apron, chemical resistant gloves, hardhat and ear plugs. And don't get me started on proper waste oil storage and removal procedures. The whole safety industry makes me laugh. Being safe is good, I get it, but come on its getting a little ridicules.

Quote Originally Posted by juandigital View Post
    Yes its a good idea to disconnect your car battery. Also throw the breaker on the garage for good measure. Might as well shut the power off to the house too. Dont forget your safety glasses, steel toes shoes, chemical apron, chemical resistant gloves, hardhat and ear plugs. And don't get me started on proper waste oil storage and removal procedures. The whole safety industry makes me laugh. Being safe is good, I get it, but come on its getting a little ridicules.
    LOL, I Agree...

Have a great day.

DonL