Best water for a vegetable garden

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Since you mentioned about what to do with your "presents" I will tell you about my own pet cementary. My house fronts a rather busy road and the first year we moved in I walked outside to find the first animal laying in the driveway. A month later, another. A week later another. It was good that I got one great neighbor who drags them down the driveway ( I won't partake in this event) and he buries them for me. So far to this date, we got 2 chickens, 55 raccoons, and things which I can't and won't even describe what they once was in life. One day while sitting out on the deck my brother said, " that is a great place for a gazebo." Yeah... in his dreams.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Speaking of "presents", my cat brought in a live one last night and decided to turn it loose in the house. I managed to catch the mouse and return it to the outdoors. As much as I consider the wildlife pests, I do them no harm despite all the harm they inflict.

Cookie

Reaction score
One thing you can tell your wife is this. Wildlife increases the value & desirablity of your property. I am not kidding. People can put in an inground pool and it almost, always depending on its area, will lose value! But, tell a newbie buyer that you got deer and they are so thrilled! They want that moment like on that movie with Chevy Chase, Funnyfarm, if you ever saw it, where they "cued" the deer, for a potential buyer.

That by the way, to catch the mouse, is very kind of you, and very respectful. I like that.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello All,

hj, I can not imagine hardly any rain on a normal basis. I guess you don't have much grass to mow, that would be nice.

Cookie, Every time I have found a dead animal and buried it, the dogs that run around here would dig it up. Guess I did not go deep enough.
as for the question "Are you tech support with a provider?" I just do my own thing with my Security and Computer company.

I need to get my rear in gear and get the rest of my garden going. I have some tomatoes on the vines, I just hope I get them before the wildlife does.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
I found a trick that works with gardens although, not acreage. When a friend called me for help with his garden concening the deer taking one bite out of each ear of his corn I told him to do something which might sound funny but, I had success with everytime.

I have 2 sons and with it loads of laundry, lots of dirty socks. I told my friend who has 3 sons, to take their dirty socks and pull them down onto the top of a stick placing a stick & white sock, on each corner of the garden, and one midway of each largest side. I have a garden each year, no fencing, just the dirty socks, and they never touch anything in it. ( sometimes, I don't want to, lol.)

Around the bottom of the garden I frame it here and there, with a wooden strip, & on the wooden strip, I rip up a white plastic disposable bag tying it around it. When, the wind blows the bag blows and they won't go near it.

It is very simple and very effective. It also, entertains the neighbors, which I have noticed, they copy at times. :) When my kids go looking for their socks they look out the windows. They love me.

DonL

Reaction score
Good Morning,

Thanks Cookie, I will have to try that. Do the socks have to be dirty ?

I have had dogs dig up my melon seeds, and Cows eat the tops off of all my corn.

I did have a garden owl and it worked for birds, kept them from eating my fish.

I guess the wildlife is just doing what is natural. Can not really blame them.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy, but, yes Don, they got to be dirty, :)
My sons are linebacker size, wearing size 15 shoes...

Do you need big socks? I don't know, lol.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Hello Cookie,

I only wear a size 13. How long do I need to wear them. lol

Enjoy Your May Day.

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
Until, they are really offensive, lol. or, become an environmental issue.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I guess I would have to wear them for a week to become offensive. My feet don't sweat much.

I got my garden in. I put up a chicken wire fence to keep the cats out, they think it is a large litter box.

We get two seasons here, that is nice. Just have to worry about a hurricane wiping the garden out.

I hope Your garden does good this year. With the price of veggies, everyone can use one.

I am still undecided if I should use Well water or soft water. Rain water is not a option, we have had none.

Have a great day.

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
I would use well water if those were my choices. I hope my garden does well, too. I got to put it in yet. I use my deck too, I got large containers for tomatoes. I would like to do a separate patch for herbs, like I used to do, now, time is of the essence. I used to grow 5 different types of basil and sell it to the neighboring restaurant which my neighbor owns. I grew alot of it, all because I love to do it. I love the smell. It overpowers the socks. :)

That picture, avatar, is my newborn deer. It was blazing hot that May, so I sheltered him. I woke up and nearly, tripped on him going to the mailbox. What a neat present.

The road is right beyond it, so, I wrote on the box which you can't see, " One buck to see the buck." and, a walker, taped a buck to it! Lol.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I might try well water on one of my gardens and soft water on the other, and compare the results.

That may be a good test.

I think the well water would be better.

Heck back in the day there was no soft water, Gardens grew good.

If I depended on rain, I would not grow anything, as hot as it has been here.

Thank You.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks