Ceiling fan runs slow on highest setting

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It looks like that fan motor may use three or four caps.

The box with the five wires, Will most likely have 3 or 4 caps in it.

It may have the rating printed on the side.

The larger the value the faster the speed.

This may help, Just for reference; https://www.eceilingfans.com/capacitors_-_ceiling_fans.html
Could probably find them cheaper elsewhere.

DonL

Last edited by a moderator:

Mylomine

Reaction score
Ok, I will take a look at that and compare it to the other fans to see if they are the same or not. Either way I think I will replace it and see if we can get this thing moving faster.

It looks like that fan motor may use three or four caps.

The box with the five wires, Will most likely have 3 or 4 caps in it.

It may have the rating printed on the side.

The larger the value the faster the speed.

This may help, Just for reference; http://www.eceilingfans.com/capacitors_-_ceiling_fans.html

Could probably find them cheaper elsewhere.

DonL

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
There are two wall switches in this room. One of them is a lighted switch so that you can see it in the dark when the switch is in the off position.
You could have it wired in series with something else and still get 120 volts to it. It would really be stretching our credulity to have had more than one fan with the same assembly problem, and you get all of them.
It is wired in a 3-way.
As has been recommended, wire it straight up and use the pull chain to see if that cures the problem. If it does then the problem is the lighted switch

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks