Submersible Pump Failure #4

Users who are viewing this thread

mwslaketyler

Reaction score
I am using F&W sub pump single phase 2HP /4 "/55gpm in lake for my irrigation system. I have had to replace the pump several times since install 8 years ago- not only expensive but seems to be during hot season when needed most. I use it with 20 gal tank. It irrigates 2 acre lawn with seperate plant bed zones and a small drip irrigation zone. Is the pump failure continuing problem due to over cycling of the pump? If so what is the solution to this? I have just read of a cycle stop valve-does this work to solve this problem? Does it over-labor the pump? Where do I get a cycle stop valve and how do I spec which model? How do I know if this IS the problem or if something else could be causing it? The installer has placed many,many of same installations and I am not aware of anyone else having the problems I am having. I have also been told the pump should be installed in lake at least at 45 degree angle and not 'laying' on bottom?True?Why? Would a switch to centrifugal pump solve reduce the wearing in any manner or same characteristics or use other than winterizing needs? If there another sub pump manufacturer as good as F&W? Thanks.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
let some others chime in on this but...

4 new 2hp subs in 8 yrs... OUCH!! ..around here the irrigation contractor would likely get an old fashioned beat-down after the second one got replaced.. i take it they were just out of warranty? 55gpm pump and 20gal tank running different sized irrigation zones without means to reduce cycling can burn up in a hurry, as you can see! ..he should know better.

buy the cycle stop valve ASAP.. it will make all the difference. valveman will know which is best suited.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
A CSV will extend the life of your pump and give you constant pressure. The pump doesn't need to be installed on a 45% angle. I've installed the pumps nearly and they work fine. They should be installed in a sleeve but i've known people that didn't and they worked fine. I suggest that you call Cycle Stop Valves as they will recommend the proper valve and walk you through the installation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks