Copper to PEX for future remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Beans

Reaction score
SO I searched around a bit but this is a pretty unique question I think.

I'm remodeling a mainfloor bath over an unfinished basement. I plan on putting in a bath directly below in the basement down the line a few years when I finish out the basement. At that point I will also replace all the galvanized supply lines with PEX. I'm also going to put in a hydronic radiant floor heating system either this summer or next.

The question is: What is the best way to plumb my new bath fixtures into the existing galvanized so that I am ready to hook in to the pex system down the line?

I was thinking of doing copper from the valves down to the joist space and hooking a short run of pex over to the galvanized. When I tear out all the galvanized I will lose the short runs of pex and replace them with the full runs of pex to the manifold. That way I dont have to buy and sweat a bunch of copper I'll end up tearing out down the line, just a bit of pex.

My concern with running pex all the way to the valves in the bath is that when I do the rest of the plumbing I will have to connect pex to pex instead of that copper to pex. Does it matter?

Did I explain it well enough?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jastori

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with connecting pex to pex - it is done all the time. Since you are planning to move to a pex system in the future, I don't see any benefit to running copper now. I would run whatever pex you plan to run now, and finish replacing the rest with pex when appropriate.

Beans

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I just thought you didnt want to have any couplings in the pex except for at the manifold and at the fixture. I will worry less.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks