Prier faucet sticking

Users who are viewing this thread

judge

Reaction score
Now that the weather has finally turned, I attempted to get water from my outdoor prier faucet (green cap and knob) and water didn't come out. What is the root cause? How should I fix this? I have 2, same situation on both of them. Installed 3 years ago and no issues to date

P_164_Wall_Hydrant.jpg

http://www.prier.com/product/P_164_Wall_Hydrant

Last edited by a moderator:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
May be the vacum breaker

Attachments

• C_155_Faucet_Vacuum_Breaker_BFP_sm.jpg
    C_155_Faucet_Vacuum_Breaker_BFP_sm.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 853
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure they haven't been turned off with a remote valve?
Sometimes a faucet in the front of the garage will have a shutoff on the warm wall.

prier-hosebib-terrylove.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, some models of frost-proof hose bibs will drain regardless of whether there's a hose attached or not. If I were going to install one, I'd look for one with that feature. These things have the actual guts that shut it off way at the end, inside the house. But, if there's a hose attached, most can't drain, and this can split the pipe. Won't leak until you turn it back on.

judge

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have confirmed that the remote valves in my basement are "on". There doesn't appear to be any split pipe situation. There seemed to be a small bit of leakage, maybe 20 drops, that dripped out when I attempted to first open the faucet. I'm not an experienced plumber, so I don't know whether there is a vacuum breaker, and how to activate it.

Should I attempt to remove the knob and nut to see whether something is "stuck"?

NPMSTR

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.prier.com
Turn the shutoff valve OFF, using a crescent wrench, loosen the nut behind the handle and after is it loose, unthread the stem out of the valve. Inspect the stem and make sure it is complete. Once the valve is out of the hydrant, turn the water on to flush out the hydrant, after flushing the hydrant, reinstall and stem and valve stem cap, and you should be repaired.

Last edited by a moderator:

westflo

Reaction score
Turn the shutoff valve OFF, using a crescent wrench, loosen the nut behind the handle and after is it loose, unthread the stem out of the valve. Inspect the stem and make sure it is complete. Once the valve is out of the hydrant, turn the water on to flush out the hydrant, after flushing the hydrant, reinstall and stem and valve stem cap, and you should be repaired.

[video=youtube;_cI79v9pSWs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cI79v9pSWs[/video]

Thanks for this great video that explains more this valve. It seems nice. I think this is what I'll use next when my currect valve breaks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Basically you just overtightened it when you shut it off last fall and it is stuck.

Good to see Prier is onboard with a video I was getting tired of explaining that every spring on the forums...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks