Which TOTO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Shimmies99

Reaction score
Drake, Drake II, or Eco Drake? I was ok with Drake but wanted CEFIONTECT (worth it?) but the only ones on hand at plumbing supply with SG were the Drake II and the Eco Drake. I am weary of potty shopping and have been accused of being anal. Which, frankly, seems appropriate. get it? sorry.
I want a good flush with good wash. Not so picky about stylish. Less expensive better than $$$

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend any Toto with double cyclone bowl wash.

I am less sold on CEFIONTECT, even though my 3 Totos have it. They still get stains and require cleaning.

But definitely go for the double cyclone.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake II is pretty nice. It's the least expensive of the CEFIONTECT, double cyclone bowls.
The video shows the Ultramax II, which is similar

Last edited:

Sevenfeet

Reaction score
This is the question that I face right now. I have a special needs son that two years ago tried to flush a bunch of small toys down the Bemis toilet in our kids bathroom. One large piece is still in it as myself and a professional plumber were unable to free the object. He also flushed toys down the Kohler toilet in the master bathroom but we were able to get that one unclogged (with help from the plumber). My son is older now and doesn't do these things anymore but the Bemis toilet in the kids bathroom is still out of commission as we just had the kids begin to use my wife and I's toilet in the master bathroom. We'd like to reclaim our bathroom and put a working toilet back in the kids bathroom.

So I began my internet research on toilets back when all this started but now my wife and I really want to do something about it. We were almost ready just to do the impulse purchase at Home Depot and just get a American Standard model (either Champion or Cadet) but then I came back and saw all the lousy reviews....again. So I'm back to finding a Toto. Here in Nashville we have four dealer/showrooms that deal in Toto and I was all ready to just order a Drake and get it over with. But it's never that simple, is it? My wife is getting a Ph.D. in Environmental Management so she's like us to reduce the water usage from the 1.6 gpf models in our house now. That means that we need to look at an Eco Drake instead of a standard Drake. And do I spend the extra money on CEFIONTECT for a kids toilet or not? If I do, am I in Drake II price territory?

The irony is that with this purchase for the time being, the best toilet in the house will end up being the kids toilet, but the purchase will also set the stage for replacing the other two toilets in the house. The guest bathroom toilet is the same Bemis 1.6 gpf builder model that came with the house (built in 1991). It's so bad that it frequently clogs and often needs multiple flushes to clear anything but liquids. I pointed out to my wife that just replacing that 1.6 gpf Bemis with a better performing 1.6 gpf anything-else would reduce water consumption in our house. But it's likely she'll want to go the extra mile and do 1.28 gpf WaterSense. The Kohler in the master bathroom is the best of the three original toilets but it has a missing tank lid, broken after my wife knocked it off a stub wall while the plumbers were repairing it. But it will still be replaced last of the three.

I could see us doing a Drake II 1.28 gpf model in the master bathroom. ADA height appeals to me since I'm nearly seven feet tall. But a guest bathroom toilet has to serve multiple users of a variety of ages so I'm less inclined to get an ADA product there. Am I correct in that all Drake IIs are ADA height? If so, what else should I consider?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I could see us doing a Drake II 1.28 gpf model in the master bathroom. ADA height appeals to me since I'm nearly seven feet tall. But a guest bathroom toilet has to serve multiple users of a variety of ages so I'm less inclined to get an ADA product there. Am I correct in that all Drake IIs are ADA height? If so, what else should I consider?

I am 6'8". Definitely get the "comfort height" (if I recall correctly that's the euphemism Toto uses for ADA). My 5'8" wife has no trouble with it. As others on this site have said, an ADA/comfort height toilet really doesn't take a step ladder to use - it's basically the same height as a dining room chair.

Sevenfeet

Reaction score
I am 6'8". Definitely get the "comfort height" (if I recall correctly that's the euphemism Toto uses for ADA). My 5'8" wife has no trouble with it. As others on this site have said, an ADA/comfort height toilet really doesn't take a step ladder to use - it's basically the same height as a dining room chair.

True, but the guest bathroom toilet is the only toilet on the ground floor of my home and is used constantly. I'm more concerned about it being the appropriate height for children (my kids are almost 8 and almost 5). Granted my 8 year old boy is more the size of a 10 year old boy these days but is an ADA chair too high for my 5 year old daughter and her friends?

Sevenfeet

Reaction score
Actually, Comfort Height and ADA are slightly different. ADA is just a bit higher.

Which means it might be best to get out the tape measure. Or try to take my daughter to a local Toto dealer and see if they have anything in the showroom she could try out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many toilets in public restrooms are ADA height. So, consider if the affected people have problems there. My doctor told me if I need to sit for longer than 3-minutes, something is wrong, either diet, timing, or health. The children will grow, too, and they're flexible while young. I'd spring for the comfort height.

Shimmies99

Reaction score
Seven feet wrote: My wife is getting a Ph.D. in Environmental Management..... ha ha I thought you were joking, I've been accused of getting a degree in textiles when I bought carpet, trying to be a GC when I did floor repair and now I'm being raked over the coals for toilet shopping But your wife REALLY is getting a degree in Environment, cool. I was pretty set with Drake, but Monday I am going to price local biz for Drake 2 hopefully do- able. Best wishes with your growing family~

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just did a quick check on the three toilet heights. The so called standard height is 14-5/8". The Comfort or Universal height is 16-1/8" and the ADA is 17-1/4". This does not include the seat height.

Sevenfeet

Reaction score
Seven feet wrote: My wife is getting a Ph.D. in Environmental Management..... ha ha I thought you were joking, I've been accused of getting a degree in textiles when I bought carpet, trying to be a GC when I did floor repair and now I'm being raked over the coals for toilet shopping But your wife REALLY is getting a degree in Environment, cool. I was pretty set with Drake, but Monday I am going to price local biz for Drake 2 hopefully do- able. Best wishes with your growing family~

Yeah, my wife really is getting a Ph.D. (currently writing her dissertation in the Life Cycle Analysis of energy consumption of food systems for corporations...or something). But from a practical matter, it means that if we're going to do something with the house, we try to do it green unless it makes no economic sense. For example, we recently replaced our roof. New energy efficient shingles wouldn't return their extra investment anytime soon but a solar powered roof vent made sense. And with all the technology I run in the house, I'd love to do some more energy efficient upgrades but convincing the Missus to replace the 65" CRT RPTV in the home theater with a 65" flat panel usually falls on deaf ears. :)

Anyway, come Monday it will be time to get some extra pricing on other models. And regarding the Comfort height option, yes, I do guess the kids grow fast. :)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks