Does drinking water cause UTI'S"

Users who are viewing this thread

steph101

Reaction score
I don't know if this question can be answered but I will give it a shot. We have been renting a house since September. Last month my daughter staring getting UTI'S. We have tried everything to stop it but it continues. A friend of mine told me it could be from our water... Is this true? We bought some tablets for our toilets b/c the rotten egg smell occurs after flushing or while showering.. When we pulled off the back of our bowl, we were kinds shocked.. They were completely orange and had sand covering the bottom. It's pretty gross looking. I was just trying to reach out on my own without a Dr. to help.. I don't know much about the past of this house or the water.. but I do know when I rented it the landlord told us he had the water inspected and the well was so deep he could almost sell the water.. ?? Please help with answers.

Augusta

Reaction score
I've seen renters blame property managers for everything from potential floods to allergies...but never a UTI from the drinking water.

I'm no doctor, and I would hope no one here would pretend to be one. Your best source of info for frequent urinary tract infections would be your OB/GYN. With that being said, I've never heard of UTI's from drinking water. One could argue that you could get a UTI from sitting in a hot tub that's not well kept. As an aside, I am curious as to if you are in Sarasota, FL. They have the smelliest water there than anywhere I've ever been in my life (like rotten eggs). The well water, shallow and deep, AND public water wreaks of rotten eggs.

The wife used to get frequent UTI's, but she was a teacher. Teachers lead the ranks in professions for most frequent UTI's due to having to hold it in for long periods of time. Outside of seeing a doctor, this is the best source I've seen for UTI's, and was the same advice given to the wife from her OB/GYN:

1. Water helps flush your urinary tract, so make sure you drink plenty of plain water daily.

2. Don't hold it when you need to urinate! Women are often guilty of trying to finish a task before they go to the bathroom. Holding it when you need to go can help any bacteria that may be present develop into a full-fledged urinary tract infection.

3. You've probably heard that you should wipe from front to back after a bowl movement. This is especially important to help prevent bacteria from the anus from entering the vagina or urethra.

4. Taking showers instead of baths helps prevent bacteria from entering the urethra and causing a UTI.

5. Always wash your genital area both before and after sexual intercourse to help prevent transferring bacteria to the urethra or vaginal area, which can create a breeding ground for a UTI.

6. Feminine hygiene sprays and douches, particularly scented douches, can irritate the urethra and possibly lead to a UTI. Avoiding these products will help prevent not only urinary tract infections, but also other infections and irritations that these products may cause.

7. Drinking cranberry juice is a fairly well-known and natural way to both help prevent urinary tract infections, as well as help speed the recovery process when a UTI develops. Just drinking two 4-ounce glasses of cranberry juice daily is often enough to both prevent a UTI and speed recovery when an infection does develop.

8. Another nutritional route that may help prevent UTI is regularly taking vitamin C supplements. Vitamin C increases the acidity level of urine, which in turn helps decrease the number of harmful bacteria that may be present in your urinary tract system.

9. Always wear panties with a cotton crotch. Cotton fabric lets moisture escape while other fabrics can trap moisture, creating a potential breeding ground for bacteria.

10. If you are one of a large number of women who suffers from frequent, recurrent urinary tract infections, a change in your position during sexual intercourse may help reduce the number of UTIs that you experience. Changing sexual positions may reduce friction on your urethra and reduce your risk of recurrent UTI. Women who suffer from extremely frequent urinary tract infections may be prescribed an antibiotic to take immediately after sex to help prevent the likelihood of urinary tract infection occurrence.

Source:

Urinary Tract Infections. NIH.gov.
What causes UTIs & UI? | NICHD - Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (nih.gov)

steph101

Reaction score
first off, I said my daughter not myself. She is 5. I doubt any of this applies to her... I also rent from her God father... I am far from trying to go after him for anything.. He is a wonderful man! It wasn't necessarily the drinking. water.. I was wondering about health issues in general not just UTI's. I was trying to dig to help the Dr. get to the root of the problem...excuse me for reaching out. But thanks for all your advice Augusta.. ( I just moved from there in September actually) I will keep that in mind if I myself happen to come down with one!!!

Augusta

Reaction score
Strange, I know someone named Steph (assume that's your first name) who moved from Augusta to Florida. No harm intended from my end, Steph. Understood it's your daughter, but I'm addressing you as the authority. Nothing wrong with reaching out and gathering information. "Going after" the God father vs him having the blame for the UTI possibly based on support of a shallow well are two different things, are they not? Never assumed or implied you'd "go after" him. That's quite a stretch from what I said. Your daughter being 5 years of age would have been a wonderful bit of information in your opening post. Did you read anything other than #10? Drinking lots of water, cranberry juice, Vitiman C, taking showers instead of baths - you doubt any of that applies to a 5 year old? Ok. I sincerely hope she gets the help she needs.

I was wondering about health issues in general not just UTI's.

Your question was - could frequent UTI's be from the drinking water. You may very well find someone more sensitive than I, but I hardly doubt you'll get better information anywhere than what I gave based on what you wrote.

Health issues in general given:
  • water with rotten egg smell
  • orange back of bowl with sand covering bottom
  • Depth of well
I'm sorry, I have no idea. Maybe someone else can take a swing at it.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've heard that bubble baths can cause UTI.
Cranberry juice does seem to help but your best bet is to check with her Doctor.

As far as the well, I would have a bacteria sample taken. Most county health departments do this for a small fee.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on how hot you keep the WH thermostat, stuff could grow in there. So, if you test the water, you may want to test two samples, one from the cold tap and one from a hot tap. For safety, they recommend the WH output not be above 120 for most circumstances, but it can require higher to kill some stuff. If you decide to run it hotter, you'll get the effect of a larger WH, but would want to put a tempering valve on it to reduce the outlet temp to a safer level, especially with young children in the home.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ah, age 5. My friend, the school may be the problem. Check out the bathrooms to see how clean the toilets are, little kids, even little girls, are great for peeing on the seats. Don't ask how they do it, but they do it. lol. Schools are hot beds for germs. Someone said, to get her bottled water, great suggestion as well plus, eliminate the bubble bath stuff, & don't shampoo her hair while in the bath, for a while I would do showers. If you didn't see a doctor yet, I would. Those things are painful. Oh, and soap, some soaps are really harsh and filled with all kinds of fillers. Check out for a natural soap. Don't use dial whatever you do, it can peel paint off a wall.

Also, I don't know if you know this or not, but, a UTI, is very common in children, unfortuately; and, has a tendency to be heritary. Drinking lots of water would help, but, I seriously, would get her bottled water only.

Last edited:

Samantha R.

Reaction score
I don't know if this question can be answered but I will give it a shot. We have been renting a house since September. Last month my daughter staring getting UTI'S. We have tried everything to stop it but it continues. A friend of mine told me it could be from our water... Is this true? We bought some tablets for our toilets b/c the rotten egg smell occurs after flushing or while showering.. When we pulled off the back of our bowl, we were kinds shocked.. They were completely orange and had sand covering the bottom. It pretty gross looking. I was just trying to reach out on my own without a Dr. to help.. I don't know much about the past of this house or the water.. but I do know when I rented it the landlord told us he had the water inspected and the well was so deep he could almost sell the water.. ?? Please help with answers.

Take a look on what I found everyone is so quick here to want to jump to conclusions and instantly diss a mother who is concerned for her daughters well bieng they really need to grow up not they mainly 1 person you don't always have to be a smart A**HOLE bro with smart A** answers all it took was typing in to Google to give an answer to possiblymight be of some help
www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/disease/e_coli.html

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks