Getting rid of tree stumps, and make them stop growing

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello all,

I hope all of you are having a good day.

I have a problem with trees popping up.
I saw them down and get 2 or more, from the stump.

Does anyone have a home remedy to kill the stump for good ?

Years ago you could by good stuff that would kill them, but now everything is watered down.
Most of my trees are Chinese Berry and Tallow, and a PITA.

Anyone that has a home remedy, I would like to hear from you.

Thank You.

Have a great day.

DonL

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bore holes in stump and fill with copper sulfite
(root destroyer)
(root-x)

same stuff for roots in sewer line

Over time the moisture eats away the kills kiils and deteriorates the stump.

DonL

Reaction score
lol, that is funny Cookie,

But my grandfather used dynamite in his day. Don't get caught with it now a days. But it did work.

I was thinking Salt or Copper Nails maybe. Copper sulfate or copper sulfite ? may work, Thanks zl700.

I like Terry's idea, but not all of us are Rich like he is. Would cost me a fortune, I live in a forest.

I have about 30 I would like to get rid of.

I just need a way to convert heat from burning wood into a usable form of energy. Maybe a steam engine.

Have a Great Good Friday.

Enjoy Your Easter Holiday.

DonL

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It cost me about $200 to have six stumps ground down. It took almost no time.

But if I lived in a forest, then just cutting the stumps low and killing them would work too.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, my grandpa used to clear his land, too using that stuff, but I surely, wouldn't recommend it. I actually, did 2 stumps myself with the good ole' axe and over time, I got them out. The grinder is great, but they sure do make a mess. One stump I actually put to good use. I sit the food for the animals on it. Their own table, lol.

Have a Happy Easter, too.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Its called a backhoe, and you dig them out.

the best way to get out a stump, and I have done hundreds - up to 3.5 foot diameter pine trees, hundreds of feet tall - Dig a hole on one side of the tree, cutting the main roots on that side. The remaining roots are your hinge on the opposite side and keep the tree from falling on you.

Now take your excavator boom up about 30 feet and start pushing SLOWLY. On a dead tree a fast push will snap off the crown and give you a fatal headache. Once the tree gets to about 20 degree lean, its an easy fall, and the entire stump comes with the tree.

A small backhoe is great for 'normal' size trees.

DonL

Reaction score
That sounds like a sure fire way to get rid of them ballvalve.

How much dirt does it take to fill the hole in ?

I once had a Willow tree growing near my pond, And it got blown over during a storm and fell on my fence.

I waited until the next day to go and cut it with the chainsaw.

The wind had switched directions over night, and it was standing again.

It still stands to this day, even after the last Hurricane that we got in Texas.

I could not believe it. The root system must have been 12 feet tall when it was on its side.

Talk about Mother Nature, What a Job She Did...

DonL

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I think a willow can grow upside down. I have pines that grow horizontally when blown over and some good roots remain.

If you are in a city you can dig a deeper hole and bury the stump a few feet below grade, not having to search for dirt.

Where I live 5 acres spread out flat would be 20 acres in Texas.

Shimmies99

Reaction score
In VA, at boyfriends mountain home, I've purchased Stump Killer (or something like that) at Lowes or HD. We applied it to the stumps then left them for about 4 months. Then came back and was able to kick, tug push pull out the skinny tree stumps, and there was no growth on the bigger ones which were also deteriorating. BF is crazy, he bought an old stump grinder to have on hand, which we did use on the big stumps. Stumps will get mushy eventually and you could hack away at them then, I think.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks