Tee height for kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Magicalpig

Reaction score
I have an drain stack that I want to tee into for my kitchen sink drain. It's about 18" horizontally away from where the sink will be.

My first issue is how to run the drain 18" horizontally. If I rotate the Tee such that it is in plane with the wall, the pipe will need to bore through loadbearing studs. If the Tee points into the room a little bit, the drain will need to cut diagonally through one of the cabinets before finding its way into the sink base cabinet.

Second problem is height for this Tee. How can I find its proper vertical position it if I don't yet have the sink? if I don't yet have any specs about the food disposal I may or may not include? if I havent even determined countertop height? Am I wrong in assuming there is one and only one correct placement for the tee so that the drain from the sink connects with it, or will there be some adjustable factor such as a telescoping trap or something involved?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Magicalpig

Reaction score
a similar problem

This website illustrates a similar problem. They create a drain stub-out for the sink at a height determined by running 1/4" per foot from the waste stack. But they don't talk about how to make the sink connect at that height.. do you just add pipe after the trap to keep climbing as high as necessary before meeting with this stub out?

isn't 1 3/8" max diameter for a hole in a load bearing stud? here they're running 1 1/2" pipe through it? Is some kind of reinforcement used?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The only "wrong" height for the tee is when it is too high to make the connection. There is no height that is "too low" unless it is down at the bottom of the cabinet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
studs

IT is done all the time. Either you have to drill the studs for the waste arm, orif the drain is at the sink location, you have to drill to run the vent around the window.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
HSS-SS4.gif

simpson makes an item called a stud shoe for 2 x 4 or 2 x 6. it wraps around the side of a stud over a cutout.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/HSS-SS.html

should be able to find at any lumber yard

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
holes

The next "stud shoe" I buy to wrap around a drain or vent pipe in a stud will be my first one. I have never used any, and no inspector has ever asked for one.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
hj said:
The next "stud shoe" I buy to wrap around a drain or vent pipe in a stud will be my first one. I have never used any, and no inspector has ever asked for one.

i've seen large holes driiled in lumber that passed plumbing inspections but failed framing inspections. i would not bother a plumber to install a teco.

Magicalpig

Reaction score
stud shoe

I'm not in any position to know, but I'm really surprised to learn how common & accepted it is to bore such large holes in exterior wall studs. Pipe for a kitchen sink drain should be 1 1/2" which equates to a 2" outer diameter? is that right?

if you make the hole have diameter 2 1/8" that's just about 60% of the 2x4's depth. I've read that 60% is acceptable if you double-up the stud; only 40% if you don't.

Is all this discussion about holes in studs useless? Do people even do holes or is it more often notches?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks