(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peerless 5600 Resin in Water Supply

There is only one resin that I know of that is white and it is a tannin resin, there might be others but I have not seen them.. as for the size... way smaller than a flee..

Anion/tannin etc. resins are white but so are some cation/softening resins.

Put the stuff in some vinegar for a few hours and see if it dissolves. If it does it's not resin but little balls of hardness scale. If it doesn't dissolve, it's resin.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Thanks Gary for the suggestion I tried the above with the Vinegar and they did not dissolve, they are a perfectly round ball. I am sure they are resin

What else is in the tank besides resin or is it all resin? When I pull this apart should I just dump out the Cylinder
    or is there a better method for changing the Distributor?

Thanks again
    Joe

A cylinder is a shape; you have a resin tank. There is only one way to replace the DT. Take out the old and put in the new. HOW ya do it can differ.

Some softeners have a gravel underbed. You can pour out the water until the resin starts coming out and then stop, stand the tank up and shake it to get the resin to fall back to the bottom and then, lay the tank down and lift the bottom about 6" or so and shake it so the resin and any gravel lay of the side of the tank exposing the bottom so you can see the dimple in the center of the bottom of the tank.

The pointy end of the bottom basket goes into the dimple. You stick a finger into the distributor tube, insert the DT into the tank holding the bottom basket up against the top of the tank (still laying on its side) and get the pointy end into position (in the dimple) and holding the DT tight against the bottom, stand the tank up so nothing gets under the bottom basket. Stand teh tank up and shake it and everything falls down where it belongs.

Or you can dump everything out of the tank into salt bags in buckets and put the DT in the tank and then pour the resin and gravel in after taping the top of the DT so nothing gets down inside the DT.

Either way when you're done loading the tank with resin etc. and have things all back together, you put the control in backwash and let it run for a few minutes to rinse the resin and then take it back to service and do a manual regeneration at the max lbs of salt for your volume of resin (15 lbs/cuft), and then do a second one and you should have all the resin fully regenerated.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

A cylinder is a shape; you have a resin tank.
    Couldn't think (Resin Tank ) while I was typing, sorry about that. Anyway thank you for the description Just wasn't sure what all was in the Tank

Thanks again
    Joe