A/v

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have been using Kaspersky for a few years, and have been liking it. But they have an aggravating habit of sending emails that your license is about to expire, when the screen shows you have 150 odd days remaining. I have been through this before, you have to find your activation code, fiddle around with that, and they say...ok!

I got tired of that crap, dumped them last night and installed NOD32 from ESET. I have heard good things about it. So far, so good.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello jimbo,

Sounds like you have a virus, LOL.

There is a tweak in the registry where you can tweak the settings.

I am not sure if you have a free version, or paid for it.

The problem with anti virus programs it that many times they create a bogus update and then you need to update, (Then they check for a valid copy) as well as making a good computer Slow way down.
Windows OS is a good example, Of needing UN-Needed Updates.(and checking for licensed copies)

I use NO, NONE Anti Virus programs, and have had Zero Problems, in 10 Years on the Internet.

Knowing what is running on your computer helps a lot, so you can see BS running in the background,
and a firewall turned on.

If You need a utility to see what your Windows computer is doing you can use The WinForce Control Panel.
www.winforce.net

Have a Great Day.

DonL.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks Don.

Yes, I pay for this crap! I think kaspersky is a good A/V but just aggravated me that it couldn't seem to keep the license dates and acitvation codes in sync. My biggest gripe is that at one time, the PROMISE was that all this crap was going to be transparent to USERS! I want to USE my computer, not have to fart around with all that stuff...settings, schmettings.! I don't want to go there!

Anyway, I am liking the NOD32. It is highly recommended by a radio computer guru who I like a lot.

I have firewall. I use the firewall on the A/V, and keep windows firewall off. And I also have a router, so others also advise me that I could live without A/V at all.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello jimbo,

I think that a good Ghost Backup is the best protection against Viruses.

And Windows Restore Points, are OK, If they are available when you need them.

Windows Vista and 7 seem to have a handle on the creation of usable restore points,
but a Backup is far better, in case you need to reformat your hard drive.

Some times a reformat and reload is the only way to recover from a good Virus. (or bad virus)

Ghosting the drive is the best way to go, but takes time, and hard drive space.

I say Backup ,Backup, Backup. It does not hurt to test a important backup, to make sure it will work.

NOD32 should be pretty good , as it don't slow the system down as much as others, but they all use CPU time.

Have a Great day.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks