What is an anodeless riser?

Users who are viewing this thread

sanaka

Reaction score
I plan on running PE plastic gas pipe underground from LP tank to house. I was suprised to learn there is a specialized fitting just to make the turn from ground to surface. It seems to be some kind of metal jacketed plastic, which is exactly backwards from the plastic coated steel that must be used for underground steel.

What is this 'anodeless riser' all about?

Why is PE only allowed outside underground?

Why must the PE transition to metal before surfacing? I think heat-fused PE rules over threads. Is it an electrical grounding thing?

Is there a different procedure besides anodeless riser when using PE for LP? For instance just a heat fused transition-to-thread fitting, then threaded onto a steel elbow, the on to the usual? Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

That fitting is the same one that the gas utilities use to transition to the gas meter connection. It is an anticorrosion thing, and if you notice there is a line on it giving the maximum "burial" and exposure of it. PE, and most plastics, are only allowed underground because if they were run up to and out of the ground, (or less than 20" deep), they could be damaged by lawn edgers, hedge clippers, or careless diggers and rototillers. The more serious question is how you are able to buy and install it without being a certified installer?

sanaka

Reaction score
how you are able to buy and install it without being a certified installer?

Yeah. Good chance I won't be able to. Which is part of why I was wondering if these are required, or whether one can just use a normal transition fitting underground and wrap it.

Peace,
Sanaka

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
"I was wondering .... whether one can just use a normal transition fitting underground and wrap it."

It's allowed under certain conditions, one of which could be the requirement to use a sacrificial anode. Basically, the anodeless riser is easier to use because it saves labor, and it's a better installation, with less chance of a leak or corrosion when compared to a threaded coupling, 30" nipple, 90° and riser.
BTW: PE installation requires a certificate of proficiency, which your inspector is supposed to ask for. Coincidentally, one of my apprentices will be taking a certification class next Tues. evening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks