(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Long run to kitchen hot 4 min to hot water!

Hybrid View

Default Long run to kitchen hot 4 min to hot water!

Hello out there!
    I have searched the threads and found somewhat similar problems but none with a concrete slab. My house has pipes running through a concrete slab and it's a 65 foot run from the water heater in the garage to the kitchen sink. It's about 4 minutes from turn on to hot water in the kitchen. I understand the heat loss due to the thermal mass of concrete. However, is there a solution? Any suggestions would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you don't want to relocate the pipes, and it's unlikely you'll be able to insulate them, the only other choice is to pick up a hot water recirculation system. Lots of companies make them. Since you don't have a dedicated return line, the retrofit units utilize the cold line as the return, so that water line will get somewhat warm (there's a thermostatically controlled valve or control to prevent it from getting the full temp of the hot line. I have one made by RedyTemp, but there are lots of others that would work, and work well. if you search the forum on recirculation, you'll find lots of info on brands and issues. You can set the thing up on a timer, a demand switch (that only runs when you press the button for a short time), an occupancy sensor, or constantly.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

You could take the aerator out of the spout. This is the thing that screws off at the end of the faucet. It restricts the amount of water that flows out, taking longer for the hot water to get there. Then more water would flow through the faucet faster so instead of 4 minutes it might be more like 1 minute. If you do that, just take out the plastic part that restricts the flow but leave the screen. This way you will get plenty of volume, without making a distorted flow......Another option would be to put a small water heater under the sink. It would be plumbed into the hot line at the sink. The tank would not need a large volume because of the main hot water heater would be feeding it.....I do not like the recirculating system that sends warm water back to the cold line. The problem with this is you can not get cold water or now you have to wait for cold water too.

The problem is that you have a certain number of gallons of cooled off water in the hot pipe, and it must be forced out before the heated water arrives from the tank. Your long pipe run means a long wait.

Smooky pretty well summed up the two alternatives, and the drawbacks of each. A 2 gallon point of use water heater is probably easier to install than even a basic recirc system, EXCEPT that it does have a relief valve which has to be piped to outside the building, by most codes.

Hey Jimbo,
    Thanks for the reply as well as thanks Jadnashua and Smooky as well! As smooky stated I am not looking forward to waiting for cold water either. It seems like a separate system for the kitchen is the only option. How would a 2 gal point of use system work? Would it just be 2 gals of instant hot water until the cold water left in the hot water line was pushed out? And if so, where would the cold water in the main pipe go. My concern is the waste of 4 min's of running water waiting for t to get hot.

Thanks

I agree with the two Gal point of use hot water heater. I've seen several of these locoated in the cabnet under the kitchen sink and think that they are a great solution.
    Hot water instantly when you need it and then supplied by the hot water line so that there is never a point where you run out of hot water.

I don't like the idea of using the cold water tap for two reasons, one I drink water from the tap and the cold water would no longer be cold but at some tempid temperature. Second there have been several threads here about posible issues with hot water being contaminated by crap in the water heater. So a recirc pump would distribute the crap through out the sistem.

Michael