(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air injection (Micronizer) Vs air injection at the head.

In the trades WellWaterProducts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    I have a Waterite micronizer with a hose barb on the air intake. My plan is to put a 30 PSI head of air pressure on it which will increase the air injection from 30 PSI of water pressure to around 50 - 60 PSI depending on flow rate. That way I will be able to use a CSV with it. The only thing preventing me from doing it now is the compressor is too noisy to have in the house so I intend to bury a long poly pipe to an out building once the snow melts and the frost leaves the ground.
    If you are using a compressor you won't need the micronizer
    ----
    Chris Kofer
    h2oguy.com

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WellWaterProducts View Post
    If you are using a compressor you won't need the micronizer
    If I draw untreated water into an open pail exposed to the air, it takes a long time for it to turn reddish brown. Micronized water oxydizes the iron almost instantly.

It's like aerating a fish tank. If you don't have a compressor adding bubbles, the fish hang out at the surface, gasping for the small amount of air absorbed at the surface.

On systems that have a compressor, there is still an method of blending air and water for proper aeration. Just having air above water in the precipitation tank is not adequate. The Iron Curtain uses a special spray diffuser inside the tank to aerate the water.

Yep...compressor = no micronizer = possibility of CSV.

By the way, just realised that the same principle apply to a wine aerator
    it accelerate so much that is has the effect of putting in "Carafe" for an hour and it is instant.

Regards

The Waterite micronizer has an adjustable venturi so the greater the head of air pressure I put on it, the less the venturi needs to be restricted.

They are also used for ozone forced injection systems, hence the hose barb.

Any thought to the compressor capacity required to make this strategy viable?
    ----
    Chris Kofer
    h2oguy.com

Any thought to the compressor capacity required to make this strategy viable?
    I haven't worked out the finer details yet but given the small orifice on the Waterite hose barb, I cannot imagine that it would need a lot of CFMs. The micronizer would still have to suck just as before, just that the upper range of pressure/flow would be raised.

If I could find a small quiet running compressor, I would consider slaving it to the pump power so that it runs and stops when the pump does. That way, I could go tankless without a regulator. If I use a conventional air compressor with a pressure switch, I would dial in the regulator for the desired pressure since my compressor shuts off at 100 PSI.

Even if I were to inject ten times as much air as the micronizer would suck on its own, the air volume control on the precipitation tank will just vent it off. If the tank didn't get purged, the oxygen level would reduce while the rising CO2 and H2S levels make up the bulk of the air. I figure the CO2 and whatever H2S collects in the tank should be purged. I have my tank vented to the sump pit which in turn is power vented to the outside.

I've used air pumps with reasonable success http://www.air-pump.com/
    ----
    Chris Kofer
    h2oguy.com

I've used air pumps with reasonable success http://www.air-pump.com/
    Thanks for the link. Are there any dB specs for noise level?
    Last edited by LLigetfa; 04-18-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    Thanks for the link. Would you PM me a price for the 230 volt AP2? Are there any dB specs for noise level?
    I found info that said 50 Db

50 dB is what your average fridge puts out and is quieter than some dishwashers. Given that it would be down in my crawlspace, 50 dB would be quite acceptable.

I had strapped the in-coming poly line and Banjo pre-filter to the floor joists deliberately so that I could hear when the pump is running. Actually...to be more precise, I can hear the moving water. I cannot actually hear if the pump down the well is running if it isn't moving water. If I slave the compressor to the same pressure switch as the pump, I would know when the pump is energized even if it wasn't moving water.

The sound isn't too bad at all. As a rule, I have anchored them to concrete walls to minimize noise.
    ----
    Chris Kofer
    h2oguy.com

I checked out the website and the Aer-Max system looks interesting. I'm thinking that there is probably some sort of injector that blends the air into the water stream to maximize aeration. I doubt they simply pump air above the water. I'm hoping to do the same thing with my micronizer by opening up the venturi to allow more GPM through.

My problem is that my Goulds 10GS05 ingested too much sand and wore the impellers so it cannot produce the needed GPM through the micronizer venturi for a thorough shakeup of the media bed during backwash. I've thought of opening up the pump to rebuild it but given that it's more than 12 years old, I'm thinking to just limp by until I have to replace it. None the less, a CSV should help to buy a little more time.