Air injection (Micronizer) Vs air injection at the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Royerm

Reaction score
Gidday Everyone...

I have a Culligan Iron remover with the air injection after the pump.
Are the ones with the air injection at the head of the media tank equivalent????

I know mine sludge everything after the Micronizer, specially the valve on the media tank, so I wonder if the head type does that also???

My other dilemma is that with the micronizer, a CSV valve for constant pressure 50Psi would not work to well as with one tap open (1.4GPM) the micronizer would not introduce air .

So, does the air injection at the head works with less flow?????

Thx...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think the the air needs some time to do its thing before going to the media tank. My system has a precipitation tank before the media tank. The precipitation tanks also takes the place of a bladder tank and provides the air above water storage.

Some systems, like the Iron Curtain uses an air compressor and a spray nozzle in the precipitation tank instead of a micronizer which would not have limited flow problem with a CSV.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
When ever you oxidize iron with air there is going to be the sludge or the iron dropping out and coating any thing and every thing that it flows through.
Now if you try and use a standard micronizer to pull air in, it is going to need at least 5gpm for it to work, and the contest pressure pump works on pressure and not flow, thus the standard micronizer not working and another way of bringing air into the system to treat the iron so that it falls out of the water so that the filter can remove it.
There is the tank with an air pump on it or a second valve say the 2510 set up like a softener with a one way check valve to pull air and not the brine so that there is an air pocket in the upper half of a 12x54 tank.
There are a number of my customers that have the later and about every year or every two years the valves and line between the two need to be cleaned out because of the iron build up.

Royerm

Reaction score
When ever you oxidize iron with air there is going to be the sludge or the iron dropping out and coating any thing and every thing that it flows through.
Now if you try and use a standard micronizer to pull air in, it is going to need at least 5gpm for it to work, and the contest pressure pump works on pressure and not flow, thus the standard micronizer not working and another way of bringing air into the system to treat the iron so that it falls out of the water so that the filter can remove it.
There is the tank with an air pump on it or a second valve say the 2510 set up like a softener with a one way check valve to pull air and not the brine so that there is an air pocket in the upper half of a 12x54 tank.
There are a number of my customers that have the later and about every year or every two years the valves and line between the two need to be cleaned out because of the iron build up.

Yep ..same here, is it possible that I've seen somewhere a system with only a media tank with an air pump on it??

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Would that not be short changing the time needed to get the iron to fall out so that the media can then remove the iron?

The more time that the air and iron have the more it will fall out of the water that has the iron in it...

It is bad enough that the WaterSoft system needs to have a flow control after the system so that no more than either 5 or 7 gpm flows through the media... Contact time for media and water is the key for it to work and remove the iron.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is possible to have an iron filter on a constant pressure system.
There are some that will work and some that will not work.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have a Waterite micronizer with a hose barb on the air intake. My plan is to put a 30 PSI head of air pressure on it which will increase the air injection from 30 PSI of water pressure to around 50 - 60 PSI depending on flow rate. That way I will be able to use a CSV with it. The only thing preventing me from doing it now is the compressor is too noisy to have in the house so I intend to bury a long poly pipe to an out building once the snow melts and the frost leaves the ground.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm now to the point of asking myself if Constant pressure is possible with an Iron remover???????
If you are open to adopting different technology, there are several methods of oxidation. Besides aeration, there are also clorine, peroxide, and ozone systems.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
LL, what size tank are you using after you inject the air to the water line?
What kind of contact time do you have for the water and air mix?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have a Wellmate UT-30 which is rated as 30 gallons. I don't know the exact amount of draw down but suspect it to be around 5 gallons. My pump averages 5 GPM through the micronizer over the 30-50 PSI cycle range. Contact time would vary with GPM drawn. If my math is right, at 5 GPM it should equate to one minute of contact time.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
So you are using a pressure tank for double duty and no use of a say a 10x47 tank.
Is there any kind of flow control after the media unit?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have but the one tank. It does double duty as both a retention/precipitation tank and as an air-over-water pressure tank. The iron filter by its very nature is a flow limiter. It can exceed the flow rate of the micronizer while it is drawing down storage.

Royerm

Reaction score
I have a Wellmate UT-30 which is rated as 30 gallons. I don't know the exact amount of draw down but suspect it to be around 5 gallons. .

I have a bladder type Diamond 30 US gallons and at 40-60Psi it says that I get 9.3 Draw and I also cycle for a minute.

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
I have a Waterite micronizer with a hose barb on the air intake. My plan is to put a 30 PSI head of air pressure on it which will increase the air injection from 30 PSI of water pressure to around 50 - 60 PSI depending on flow rate. That way I will be able to use a CSV with it. The only thing preventing me from doing it now is the compressor is too noisy to have in the house so I intend to bury a long poly pipe to an out building once the snow melts and the frost leaves the ground.

If you are using a compressor you won't need the micronizer

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you are using a compressor you won't need the micronizer
If I draw untreated water into an open pail exposed to the air, it takes a long time for it to turn reddish brown. Micronized water oxydizes the iron almost instantly.

It's like aerating a fish tank. If you don't have a compressor adding bubbles, the fish hang out at the surface, gasping for the small amount of air absorbed at the surface.

On systems that have a compressor, there is still an method of blending air and water for proper aeration. Just having air above water in the precipitation tank is not adequate. The Iron Curtain uses a special spray diffuser inside the tank to aerate the water.

Royerm

Reaction score
Yep...compressor = no micronizer = possibility of CSV.

By the way, just realised that the same principle apply to a wine aerator
it accelerate so much that is has the effect of putting in "Carafe" for an hour and it is instant.

Regards

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The Waterite micronizer has an adjustable venturi so the greater the head of air pressure I put on it, the less the venturi needs to be restricted.

They are also used for ozone forced injection systems, hence the hose barb.
micro1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks