Shower Valve Supply Confusion - GPM/Rate of Flow

Users who are viewing this thread

Erc

Reaction score
I'm currently in the planning stages of a custom shower. I was looking at the Delta thermostatic valves all of which are supplied by 1/2''. If I couple that with a 3 port 6 setting diverter and given good water pressure, is that 1/2'' line sufficent to run multiple 2.5 GPM outlets? Say a rain shower and a hand shower? And say I run this same setup at the other end of the shower and (hot water aside) occasionally 4 outlets are running at the same time? I have 3/4'' supplies coming to the bathroom currently. Delta doesn't give any GPM or rate of flow info on any of there rough valves that I can find.

Delta appeared to have better performance reviews on this forum as opposed to Moen and Kohler both of which offer 3/4'' valves.

Any input is much appreciated?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I wouldn't plan on more than around 5-6 gpm on a 1/2" supply. Some of this is a restriction on the water flow velocity. If your pressure is quite high, you can flow a bit more, but you'll have long term problems as the faster the water flows, it can start to erode the pipe and fittings from cavitation and friction. Most 3/4" valves are capable of about double that flow. Depending on your pressure, you may not be happy with 2- 2.5gpm showerheads...depends on the design. More, is just asking for problems. Few of the valves have full-port openings, so act as a restrictor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks