Price Markup on Well Pumps by pump installers

Users who are viewing this thread

Gsaunders

Reaction score
My guess is pump guys markup the deep well pumps when they install them for homeowners. Is this the case and if so what is the standard markup rate?

I am guessing they mark it up in case they have come backup for warranty reasons.

Thanks

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Standard markup is double, If you get less then, You did good.

They buy bulk stuff at a discount.

Wal-M sometimes has up to 200% markup, They by in bulk, You may not be able to get that price unless You buy 10,000 units.

100 percent is the norm... (Double the Bulk Price) , In the real world.

That is the facts of life.

I would look at the Service that you get on what you buy, Not the price that you pay.

Service after the sale is far better than the price that You pay.

DonL

Gsaunders

Reaction score
DonL,

Thanks for the reply... I am having issues with our pump guy so right now service is non-existent. I am trying to come up with a proposal that will make everyone happy.

He has a price for a 3/4 HP SWSS 2 wire pump and motor at $625. I have no clue what this should be. I don't know what SWSS means either.

The pump guys has made a mistake and may have to replace the pump that he just sold me with a second pump. You can see my previous post about this. I am trying to come up with a proposal with a mediator where I am not getting paying for two motors, but he doesn't lose his shirt... even though he made a mistake. It has been the biggest headache.

I don't know if this guy buys in bulk or not. We are not a huge city so I can't see him buying 100's of pumps to get a big discount... but maybe he does.

DonL

Reaction score
I think that I did see your Old post.

In Texas they can not screw you like that.

I am not sure in Virgina. ( I love that country, the water is cold and sweet if you can get some, so are the girls , LOL)

I would let them install the new pump, so that you get water, that you need.

Then try to get the money for the old pump that they sold you.

That is just what I would do if I sold you something that You could not use.

the problem is that people need money, and they will take your money, if you let them.

Different states have different laws, Stick up for yourself, is what I say. No one else will...(Except your wife.)

DonL.

Gsaunders

Reaction score
Thanks again for your feedback. My family friend and attorney for 20+ years suggested she write a letter offering a proposal that meant both he and I take a hit. I end up paying more than I should and he takes a slight hit on the pump... in the end his labor costs will basically absorb his loss... so he loses a little time... I'll just be out some cash.

It is very reasonable... especially since every pump manufacturer I have spoke with, several other well and pump guys have all agreed the first pump should not have been sold to me until they knew whether the fracture worked or not... a several day wait. My existing pump would last me just fine during those few days... it would work like it always has.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
P.S. Your old pump should work in your well, The flow may not be as good, But some is better than none.

I would not let them charge me for, more labor for the install...

Their Error.. They should Cover It...

Even in your part of the woods. "My girl would Kick their a**" , Then do it herself, LOL.

You have rights, Even in the Hill Country.

DonL.

P.S.S. Then she would take Names.

She is a good person. Just don't screw with her. She stands up for her Rights.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Any good business determines their price based on their cost of doing business. No two businesses will be the same, unless it is by coincidence.

DonL

Reaction score
I agree cacher_chick,

A good Business will also back their work, or they don't get more business. (Or should not)

They should "Test, Don't Guess!" , that is nice.

Doctors always practice medicine. You would think they would not have to practice, after all their schooling.

Have a nice evening.

DonL.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks