(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Short Bathtubs? (57")

Default Short Bathtubs? (57")

I would like to replace a steel tub that has a badly worn finish on it. However, the current tub is only 57" long. Are tubs this size available?

Thanks
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tubs are either 60" or 54" or 66" Are you measuring the tub after it has been pulled out? Or are you measuring from wall to wall?
    Most bathrooms are framed at 60-1/4", and then you add drywall and tile. If you have a mud set tile job, then even with a standard five foot tub, the wall to wall distance can be 57". Somewhere buried in all that is a 60" tub.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-14-2011 at 09:54 AM.

I wish they were framed at 60 1/4"!!! I have seen too many framed at 59 7/8" just enough off to cause problems!!!!!

57" tubs were NEVER available. Yours is 60" with 1 1/2" of "wall" on each end.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Tubs are either 60" or 54" or 66" Are you measuring the tub after it has been pulled out? Or are you measuring from wall to wall?
    Most bathrooms are framed at 60-1/4", and then you add drywall and tile. If you have a mud set tile job, then even with a standard five foot tub, the wall to wall distance can be 57". Somewhere buried in all that is a 60" tub.

It looks like the tub is 53-54". I hope they're still available.
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If it's not a 60" tub, then 54" is a possibility. But, unless you are bathing only a child or very short adult, that small of a tub might better be turned into a shower. Since 60" tubs are the 'norm' in the USA, any other size will have limited volume, fewer choices, and likely higher costs.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I have to accept your measurement, but since you started out at 57" and a 54" tub would measure about 52" between the walls, I cannot be sure what you have. A 54" steel tub would be a VERY unusual animal.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    I have to accept your measurement, but since you started out at 57" and a 54" tub would measure about 52" between the walls, I cannot be sure what you have. A 54" steel tub would be a VERY unusual animal.
    The first measurement of 57" was incorrect. The tub is in fact 53-54" (from edge to edge and not wall to wall). It is an old tub (60 years +) that is steel or cast iron. The local store told me that they have 53" tubs available for arouind $350.
    Gore Vidal.

I have never heard of, nor seen, a "53 inch" tub so he must mean 54" unless it is some little known manufacturer.