Installing a Pitcher Pump and Well Point

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello Group,

I was wanting to install a Pitcher Pump for use to water plants and for emergency
use when the power is out, during a Hurricane or whatever.

I was going to use 1.25 inch PVC (1)20 foot section with a 6 foot well Drive point.

Should I use a Stainless well point or is the Slotted PVC OK to use.

I did not want to spend a lot of money, If I do not need to.

The Water table is at about 15 feet, In my location.

Have a Great Day, and Thanks for any Suggestions.

DonL

""Theory only works in a vacuum" , there are just to many unknown variables in every day life."

DonL

Reaction score
Thank You for the reply Cookie.

Do I need to install a Foot Valve ?

Have a great day.

DonL

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
No Chris, My neighbor would like to have a well that we could both use, If we need it.

I wanted to give it a try, but I no nothing about what I will be doing.

That is why I wanted to post, Before I got started.

I wanted to do it correct the first time.

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
I love the pitcher pumps. I love old things like that, and they are great for washing cars, watering the gardens, and they require no electricity, just old-time hand power, great if you lose your electricity since you will still have water.

I have an old Meyers pump it is electric but still works, about 100 years old. I rewired it myself. At one time, I wanted to remove it and use it as a lawn decoration since, it really is a beauty. I love it. But, since I lost my husband, things just don't matter like they use to, so, maybe, someday the boys will want to do something with it.

I hope it works out well for you. I always think of the Miracle worker ( Helen Keller) when I see one of those. Great movie, great lady, great connection she made through a pitcher pump. Pretty amazing.

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
No Chris, My neighbor would like to have a well that we could both use, If we need it.

I wanted to give it a try, but I no nothing about what I will be doing.

That is why I wanted to post, Before I got started.

I wanted to do it correct the first time.

DonL

Apart from your equipment concerns, there is always the worry that the materials in which you wish to place the point well are not suitable.

DonL

Reaction score
Very touching Cookie, I once visited the House that Helen Keller lived in, when I was younger. Now a days people do not appreciate the simple things of life. Pitcher Pump being one of them.

And Chris our area has a lot of sand and there is water available. I no nothing about screen sizes, as to keep the sand from
being in the water, But if it has sand then I could deal with with it. Birds use it to digest their food. Garden would like it,
Not sure if the Pitcher Pump would.

Thank You for your reply's. And Thank You Terry Love.

DonL.

Cookie

Reaction score
Where is her house located at? I would love someday to see it. What an amazing writer. I was in Mo and saw Jesse and Frank James house. They also had a Pitcher pump. I was of course, checking it out.

DonL

Reaction score
Cookie,

I believe it was in Tuscumbia, Alabama. I was Very young but remember seeing her rocking chair,
Her Grandfather built it for her, as far as I can remember. I think he built the House also.

Not sure if it is still there.

Have a great Day.

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
You are right! I spent a few years in Al., Tuscaloosa, Huntsville, & Inverness and seem to recall speaking to someone there about it. I wanted to seek it out but, got too busy working. What a remarkable state and friendly people.

DonL

Reaction score
Yes Cookie,

They are nice people.

When I moved from Indiana to Texas, It seemed that people here were rude, Compared to back home.

Let me ask You something. If I do not use a foot valve, will I have to pump the water from my static water level
every time I go to use the Pitcher Pump ?

I was just wondering if a foot valve would be a benefit, or is there a valve in the pump itself.

Sorry to be so dumb about wells, but I only ask because I do not know.

I worked at NASA but I have a lot to learn.

Thank You.

Have a Good Friday.

DonL

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It can be a lot of work Don. You might try an auger that can be pulled up and dumped rather than trying to pound one in. If you use the auger method you can install 2" PVC casing down to the top of the sand. You need to get a screen and a seal into the sand. It's always a good idea to use a footvalve on any pump, hand operated or not.

Cookie

Reaction score
Small world Don. I guess you were at Huntsville. I have a picture of my young son sitting on a small transport like device used for on the moon. It wasn't until, I got it developed that I saw the sign: Do not sit on. lol. Oh, well... What was your discipline? We were electrical. I think, using a foot valve might not be a good idea for water distribution, don't know, don't know. You might not need it.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Good Morning all,

Thank You for the Info Texas Wellman, Maybe I need to rethink my project design.

Cookie, I was in Electronics, Mostly Television and Communication for Spacecraft support.
I did a lot ,over the 30 Years I put in, before funding got so limited and DOD did not require
NASA's help. After we got all the Satellites and things flying, seems we became good for nothing.

I hope everyone has a Good Sunday.

If You do not go to Church today that is fine, Your God likes One on One also, Not the money in the plate.

DonL.

DonL

Reaction score
Hello all,

Texas Wellman, I was wondering how they normally cap a water well in our area ?

The reason I ask is because I have a well that was caped on the other side of my house.
The reason a new well was drilled was because the previous owner had a problem getting his boat into the garage, it was in the way.

I was thinking I could maybe uncap that well and install my pitcher on it.

Or would that be more work than drilling another one ? Now sure how it was caped, I am in the country, Little Code Inspection.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it was plugged then it's completely unusable because it will have a cement plug from the top to bottom. If it's just capped you could remove the cap and drop a weight/string in and see how deep it is and how deep the water level is. Is it a PVC or steel well? 2" or 4"?

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I am not sure, But I assume that it is a 2 inch, same as the newer well. (I know I should never assume)

The top must be at ground level, because it is not visible.
I am not sure if it is PVC or steel, I need to try to locate it with my metal detector
and go from there.

Thank You.

DonL.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the old well was drilled prio to the 1970's it is steel. Anything after about 1977 will be PVC. If it's steel it's probably either got a hole in it by now or a plugged screen or both.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks