Shower Drain Horizontal Before Trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wojocad

Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding an upstairs bath above a rather ornate living room ceiling that I'd rather not cut into. Is it OK to raise the level of the upstairs fiberglass shower pan (maybe 6 inches) and then have the drain line from the shower pan run horizontally at a minimum slope for maybe 3 feet before adding a trap? The idea is to not cut into the existing upstairs floor deck until the shower drain line runs over an area of attic that I don't mind cutting into. I'd have access to check the trap there via a clean-out cap instead of right at the shower drain.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Raised showers or toilets invite some really nasty comments from Mike Holmes about "do it right"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The longer the pipe between the drain opening and the trap means the more of the pipe that can accumulate stuff like sludge, hair, dead skin, soap scum, etc. The trap is what isolates the room from the rest of the sewer. After awhile, you probably won't like a long trap arm!

You might consider a trench drain that you could install over one end that is where you could install the trap. A little more involved, but in some ways, easier since you only need one slope rather than a 'funnel', it's a single sloped plane.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks