(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Submersible pump motor keeps failing

Well, it's screwed in but that area is pretty eaten up so I'm not sure if it's making the best connection. 2ohms seems pretty low to me but I'm not a sparky.

I'm no sparky either, just a trouble shooter. I'll tinker with things until I figure them out and lose lots of sleep until I do... I think one of the best things you could do is call the manufacturer to see if they have a help line or tech support. They might be able to tell you exactly what the problem is without even looking in a book.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

I would talk to the utility about your pump and ask them to check the transformers.

Hello Group,

Most meters that you buy at RS do not even have the resolution to measure down to 2 ohms.
    If You have a Zero adj, that helps, or use a extended range meter.

Is that motor made to run at 60 HZ, stupid question but I have seen import stuff made to run at 50 HZ, Burns them up on 60 in the US.
    Or maybe the power coming of the service is not 60 Hz, or has Harmonics on it.

Just my two cents worth.

You all have a great day. Keep up the good work.

DonL.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    I would talk to the utility about your pump and ask them to check the transformers.
    What exactly do I need to tell them when I call them? What should I ask them to check?

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Hello Group,

Most meters that you buy at RS do not even have the resolution to measure down to 2 ohms.
    If You have a Zero adj, that helps, or use a extended range meter.

Is that motor made to run at 60 HZ, stupid question but I have seen import stuff made to run at 50 HZ, Burns them up on 60 in the US.
    Or maybe the power coming of the service is not 60 Hz, or has Harmonics on it.

Just my two cents worth.

You all have a great day. Keep up the good work.

DonL.
    I'm going to try and get a nice Fluke meter from work if I can get a technician to let me borrow one.

I believe the motor says 60Hz on the case. It's a Grundfos and I bought it from a reputable place.

I would assume that if the power at my panel was not 60Hz that I would have lots of other electrical problems besides the well pump?

Blown and the group,

I would ask them what Frequency there system is operating at (At Your Pole, or feed) and what is the Power Factor that you would expect to get
    on a Pump motor, of your type.

If they don't seem to know what you are talking about then I would change power companies
    or get someone with that provider that knows those figures.

Then you can go from there. I would not buy a new meter for what they can measure, They have it.
    The problem is they , at many time have no one that can use it, properly.

DonL.
    Last edited by DonL; 04-14-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Bad English.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Forget about HZ.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...edfFqAa71ydcaQ

Do searches on electrolytic corrosion and utility power leakage to earth on certain types of systems.

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    Forget about HZ.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...edfFqAa71ydcaQ

Do searches on electrolytic corrosion and utility power leakage to earth on certain types of systems.
    ah.... but JW says electricity doesn't leak!!!! hehehehe.....

Hello Group,

Randy you are funny.

I think ballvalve may have the answer, but it looks like the rods may not last as long as the pumps do,
    and may need changed often.

The frequency would have to be way off to cause problems, but they should be able to measure it for you, Just for grins.

DonL

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The frequency is almost certainly not an issue. The way all of the power lines are interconnected, things would fall apart rapidly if the frequencies were not only quite accurate, but also in phase. If you still have an old analog synchronous motor run clock, if it keeps decent time, that is also another test. Even if it was off a couple Hertz, it would still work fine.

When I lived in Germany, if you checked and set a clock at the end of the day on a Friday, then checked it again on Monday morning, it would be off a couple of seconds. Then, during the week, it would gradually go back to 'correct' (based on one of the shortwave stations broadcasting UCT - Universal coordinated time from an atomic clock). Seems whomever was watching things on the weekend was kind of slack, or non-existent. This was like 30-years ago, and computers probably control it all now.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014