Crack in toilet lid mount hole?? Fixable?

Users who are viewing this thread

sneekeemt

Reaction score
:confused:HELP!!! My toilet leaks each time it is flushed from the seat bolt. After taking it apart I noticed that there is a small hair line crack less about a quarter inch inside the bolt mount hole. Is this fixable or do have to buy a new toilet???...for such a small hole in a such a ronadom/ non-important area of the toilet???

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
There is something else going on. A small crack at the seat bolt should not cause water leakage.
More likly you are getting water from the gasket between the tank and the base of the toilet.
You can pick up a gasket for less than $5 a pop at the local hardware store

sneekeemt

Reaction score
Um, no I can ee water comig out of the crack when flushed; it's diffinatley leaking from the hole! See pics.

briggs-pb-02.jpg

briggs-pb-01.jpg

Any suggestions??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like time to replace the toilet...appears to be an internal crack. See what kind of consensus you get, but I think it's time for a new one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
An old cracked $75 toilet. Let me think.............yeah, just dump it and get a new one before you have to replace floors, carpets and drywall.
I got a call today from a homeowner that has to spend $8,000 to fix what a leaking toilet did.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at the bright side. The Briggs was not a very good toilet to begin with. Now is an excellent time to get a quality toilet. If you had spent any amount of time around this forum, you would know that the overwhelming preference for toilets is the Toto line. Not available in discount stores, and likely you would have to have a plumbing shop order one. You can see a complete lineup of models elsewhere on this forum.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; you would know that the overwhelming preference for toilets is the Toto line

But not necessarily the concensus opinion. I have only installed a half dozen Toto toilets and have not had any complaints about the others.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj is right. A toilet without a crack is better then a toilet with a crack.

We do however pull out a lot of the toilets that hj installs. They work for some, and not for others. Every once in a while we pull out Champion toilets, Cimarrons, Wellworths, Mansfield Alto, Briggs Vacuity, and I was at a church in Monroe that pinned warnings all over the bathroom about how to double flush the toilets that hj has in his home; the Eljer one-piece. That one works too. Just follow the directions pinned on the stall. Flush once, then use paper, then flush again. No worries mate! We keep the plunger handy in case you need it. But if you follow directions you should be good.

I think that 80% can use anything without worries. I thought I was in the group too, until I would visit my daughter, and dang if I wasn't having problems with her builder grade stuff. She suffered for almost two years before she "let" me replace them.

From the picture, I can't even see a crack though. I see adhesive around the bolt hole.

Last edited:

sneekeemt

Reaction score
hj is right. A toilet without a crack is better then a toilet with a crack.
Yes.... I agree, however, a $10 fix is better than a $300 toilet for a guest bathroom.
From the picture, I can't even see a crack though. I see adhesive around the bolt hole.

It only leaks when flushed and it's usually only a drip or two, I seriously doubt that I would have to replace the sub floor. It almost appears to me that it is a design flaw and not even a crack....

:confused:TERRY ARE YOU BLIND?:confused:

briggs-pb-03.jpg

RED = pointed out area

YELLOW = circled out "crack"

Green = where it leaks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I saw the seam, but I've also never seen a bowl with a seam there, nor have I ever seen a leak there.

You have a first. Way go to.

You have an amazing toilet.

You might as well keep it. It only drips a little bit anyway. It's perfect.

Yes, you too can own a Briggs, they're that good.

Last edited:

sneekeemt

Reaction score
I saw the seam, but I've also never seen a bowl with a seam there, nor have I ever seen a leak there. I have also never seen a seam there and assumed it was a crack, that is also why I came to this forum to seek advice.

You have a first. Way go to.

You have an amazing toilet.

You might as well keep it. It only drips a little bit anyway. It's perfect.

Yes, you too can own a Briggs, they're that good.

A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility, that's whay it's the refuge of losers!

I apologize if I offended you when I asked if you were "BLIND". It seemed relatively obvious from the photos that there was some abnormality in the exact location I had described. I will replace the toilet tomorrow, if there is no legitimate fix to this unusual problem! I was hoping to save the money for my first born's college fund!:rolleyes:

Enjoy the "stool"

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You might try silicone or epoxy on that. It's not a crack, just a loose seam.
There are plenty of manufacturers that would do that.

But I would frame the picture. Here's one I like.
I have this one in my dining room right next to my Van Gogh
At least I have both of my ears.

norris_cracked_tank.jpg

van_gogh.jpg

Van Gogh

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's a defect in the toilet...probably been there since manufacturered. Depending on where that moisture ends up, a drip or two each time flushed could, over time, create problems below in the floor. It may be small enough that it evaporates. It is not normal. Trying to fix any porcelain product that may have some moisture trapped in it is problematic and unlikely to work long term - stuff doesn't usually stick to wet surfaces, and then, even if it did, you'd have to leave it for awhile to cure. If there is an internal channel, it could already have messed up underneath. What's to say that it isn't full of water beneath that seam into the bowels of the thing?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks