stinky shower

Users who are viewing this thread

tucker2

Reaction score
Over the past two weeks we've noticed that whenever an upstairs shower is used there is the distinct smell of sewage (smell is in the vicinity of the shower drain). It lingers for a while but goes away between shower uses. 98 year old house. This particular shower has a toilet right next to it that shares a 4 inch cast iron pipe. The cast is in good shape - I can see it in between the joists from a small crawl space attic in between floors. These are the only two fixtures in the house that have not been replumbed due to accessibility issues. Originally there was likely a tub where the shower is now. It's used once a day by a 7 year old. I swept the drain and didn't find anything and it doesn't run slow. Thoughts?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure it's not bad smelling water from the water heater?

Sometimes when the rod's are going out there may be some sulfer like smells.

tucker2

Reaction score
you know that's a good question - I have a second tank for the upstairs and I never use the water up there. Thanks for the idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks